Talk

Advanced search

Recipes that include natural yoghurt

(11 Posts)
gruffalobore Mon 15-Apr-13 16:14:19

Hello all
I have a good amount of natural yoghurt that needs to be eaten.
Because I am a skinflint resourceful, I'd like to use it up before it goes off.
Any recipe ideas for dinners which will use it up?
TIA

Themobstersknife Mon 15-Apr-13 16:18:49

I do a yoghurt topping to moussaka, which is basically natural yoghurt mixed with an egg and a touch of mustard powder. This would work equally well on lasagne or similar. I also use it in a stroganoff - make the sauce with stock, tom puree and nutmeg, take off heat then stir in the yoghurt to make a creamy sauce. Other thought would be curry?

SparkyTGD Mon 15-Apr-13 16:23:10

definitely curry, with some cucumber yoghurt raita.

Or something middle eastern, kebab/falafel pitta with tzatziki.

My mum used to make a yoghurt loaf cake which was yummy.

gruffalobore Mon 15-Apr-13 16:47:01

Thanks, some great ideas. I like curries very hot so probably wouldn't put it in a curry. However I like the idea of a topping for lasagne. Silly question but can you just use mustard rather than mustard powder? Don't think I've got any of the powder variety.
Will also take a look at loaf cake, just weaning a baby and also have a toddler sounds like a healthy option for them.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 15-Apr-13 16:48:58

I use plain yoghurt as part of a tandoori-style marinade for kebabs.

WhispersOfWickedness Mon 15-Apr-13 16:53:22

Muffins!

Themobstersknife Mon 15-Apr-13 16:55:16

Can't see why you can't use a little mustard. Tbh, mustard flavour doesn't come through so you are prob ok without.

Yes to tsatziki..

Make minty yoghurt to serve with curries or with falafel pittas etc. Yoghurt, fresh mint or mint sauce, lemon juice, s & p.

Curries - but don't let it boil once added.

I often add a big spoonful to cake/muffin mixtures - it makes it nice and moist.

Put some in a shallow dish, top with a layer of brown sugar and leave for a couple of hours. It will go fudgey and lovely - good with baked plums or apples.

MelanieCheeks Tue 16-Apr-13 13:08:30

Turn it into a heathier Caesar dressing for salad. Whizz it together with some anchovies and lemon juice, plenty of black pepper.

Make overnight oats/ Bircher muesli. Soak porridge oats in fruit juice in a cereal bowl overnight in the fridge. Add some dried fruit if you like, the juice will plump them up. In the morning add grated apple, a good blob or 2 of yoghurt, and sprinkle with some nuts and seeds.

MERLYPUSS Tue 16-Apr-13 22:13:19

Put it in a curry instead of cream. You can use if for sauces where you would use cream like pork Dijon

gruffalobore Wed 17-Apr-13 19:58:50

Thanks for the ideas, have been quite busy so put it in a curry in the end!
Whenever I buy some I always seem to have some left over until it goes off, so some good tips here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now