Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone made courgette bread?

(6 Posts)
Moominsarehippos Sun 14-Apr-13 21:00:40

I tried it today and although the shell is cooked and gorgeous, the inside is a doughy splodge (yeurch).

The recipe calls for you to put 2 tablespoons of salt on your courgette then squeeze out the moisture. I thought that would be horrendously salty so just squeezed it in a seive with a heavy pan on top.

Lack of salt making it inedible? Actually the shell is really yummy but that much salt would ruin it I think.

Try again with much less salt? Any ideas of how to make it salt free?

JamNan Mon 15-Apr-13 09:39:14

The salt is to get rid of some of the juice in the courgette it's probably soggy because it retained too much moisture. Rinse the salt off under a running tap, then pat dry before squeezing the courgettes. Taste it to make sure it's not too salty. BTW, you need salt in a loaf as it does something to the sugar and yeast to make them react.

TempusFuckit Mon 15-Apr-13 09:43:54

As Jamnam says, you really do need to salt the courgettes - enough so that they're fully covered in the colander, but yes, you do rinse it off. To get rid of the most moisture after that, you can try rolling in a tea towel and then wringing them out. They'll still be a bit salty, not overly so when mixed with the rest of the loaf ingredients.

Moominsarehippos Mon 15-Apr-13 09:47:41

Oh it didn't say rinse the bloody salt off! I thought that two tablespoons of the stuff would be way too much. I'll try again!

The bits that were cooked were actually really really nice (much nicer than you would imagine). I assumed it was like when you needed to salt aubergines to get rid of the bitterness rather than a moisture thing.

I never put salt in my bread and it tastes ok.

TempusFuckit Mon 15-Apr-13 13:00:13

I would love to try the recipe though, if you do it again and it works smile

It's also worth salting aubergine (and rinsing and wringing) for the same water-reducing purpose - also means they then absorb less oil.

Moominsarehippos Mon 15-Apr-13 17:41:31

If I ever get it to work, I'll post it in recipes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now