Talk

Advanced search

Your best go-to vegan recipes

(11 Posts)
onetiredmummy Sun 14-Apr-13 19:50:02

Afternoon all,

One day a week I have to feed 8 family members who converge on me smile Sister has just become vegan & I need tried & tested vegan recipes to cook for everybody please. They don't have to be cheap just interesting & tasty.

Also what is your vegan lifestyle 'top tip'?

Many many thanks smile

Drladybird Sun 14-Apr-13 20:34:25

What about making a chilli of some kind and then serving with wraps, lettuce and sweetcorn? We are loving this Chocolate and black bean chilli at the moment. It's a nice sociable type of food where everyone can dig in around the table and make their own tortillas.
Otherwise, what about some curries? There are some wonderful vegan ones out there....

CecyHall Sun 14-Apr-13 20:40:11

Anything from the PPK site, never had a failure.

sashh Mon 15-Apr-13 02:26:04

The really cheap supermarket pasta is vegan. Serve with vegi sauce.

Tomato and aubergine casserole.

onetiredmummy Mon 15-Apr-13 11:30:27

Thanks everyone smile

MasterOfTheYoniverse Mon 15-Apr-13 11:38:49

I would do mujaddara for a main
+ fattoush salad + falafel and lemon tahini sauce + ottolenghi's burnt aubergine and pomegranate seed dip.
A bowl of very good tomatoes, another with kalamata olives and a big bottle of olive oil on the table. Pita bread. Done.

Fairylea Mon 15-Apr-13 11:41:17

Tomato and aubergine pasta - slice and fry the aubergine separately first with salt, then make a tomato sauce with chopped Tom's, mushrooms and peppers and then add the aubergine to it at the end and stir in. You can put cheese on top for the non vegan people or vegan substitute cheese if the vegans are ok with this (some don't like meat or dairy substitutes).

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 15-Apr-13 11:41:24

Sweet potato and chick pea curry.

MasterOfTheYoniverse Mon 15-Apr-13 11:42:03

Love themideabof the chili, tortillas and lots of trimmings in colorful bowls.

Generally i'd keep a theme ( all chinese, or indian, mediteranean, thai, etc...) with lots of bowls for everyone to share and build their own meal.

Go heavy of fresh herbs and spices to keep it zesty!

sammyscookies Fri 19-Apr-13 15:49:11

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LentilAsAnything Fri 19-Apr-13 16:33:35

This was one of the options at our wedding. I absolutely love it!

This makes up a large batch, so customize according to need. This is aimed at feeding about a dozen people, but for how delicious it is, I think four would polish it off quite easily, certainly with big healthy appetites.

Ingredients:
Fruity nutty Cous Cous
1.4 ltr/2.5 pints vegetable stock
675g/1 lb 8oz cous cous
2 lemons grated rind only
120ml/8tbsp olive oil
100g/4oz flaked almonds, lightly toasted
175g/6oz soaked apricots, chopped
90ml/6tbsp sultanas
90ml/6tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
to taste salt and freshly ground black pepper

Spicy Baked Aubergine
2 large aubergines cut into 2.5cm/1” cubes
2 bunches fresh mint, finely chopped
4 lemons juice only
6 large cloves garlic, finely chopped. I personally would use a whole bulb between this and the chickpea stew.
60ml/4tbsp ground coriander
20ml/4tsp paprika
20ml/4tsp ground cumin
20ml/4tsp ground black pepper
10ml/2tsp cayenne pepper
10ml/2tsp harissa paste (hard to find in supermarkets, can be found in some larger ones, or nice little ethnic shops)
5ml/1tsp salt
120ml/8tbsp olive oil

Chickpea Stew:
4 onions, sliced (use red for variety, or leeks for a change!)
60ml/4tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
10ml/2tsp paprika
good pinch cayenne
1 x 800g/1¾lb can chopped tomatoes
300ml/½pt vegetable stock
90ml/6tbsp tomato puree
2 x 400g/14oz can chickpeas, drained
2 bay leaf
pinch salt as required
60ml/4tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5.

Method:
Spicy baked aubergine/eggplant extravaganza.
Mix all the ingredients together in a measuring jug, except for the eggplant. I am going to call it aubergine from now on though! Chop the aubergine into chunks, not too small or it will go mushy, not too big or it will take ages to cook and won’t be as covered in flavour! Spread out evenly into a shallow-proof dish. After your earlier marinating efforts have been well mixed, drizzle over the aubergine, making sure all the aubergine has been drizzled, cover the dish and leave to marinate for at least half an hour, the longer the better (I leave mine overnight sometimes!).
When ready, bake in oven (with lid removed) for at least half an hour, testing until tender. (depends on size of your cubes!)

Cous cous concoction.
Stir the stock into a large saucepan of boiling water. Pour in the cous cous and throw in the lemon rind. Remove from the heat, cover and leave to stand for 15 minutes. Fluff the cous cous up with a fork so that most of the liquid is absorbed. Drizzle the olive oil into the mix and fold in the almonds, apricots, sultanas (or not!) and parsley. Season to taste. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and fluff up the grains again. Keep warm until needed.

Chickpea creation.
Fry the onions in the oil until soft and sizzling. Add the garlic and spices and fry for a couple more minutes. Add the tomatoes and stock and simmer gently until well cooked and starting to thicken. Stir in the tomato puree, chickpeas and bay leaf. Simmer for 5 minutes more. Season to taste and stir in the chopped parsley.

Serve!

Suggest placing the cous cous on the plate first, spread out, make a little hole in the middle and put on a ladle of the chickpea stew and then top with the baked aubergine dish.
Or … put in separate thirds on the plate. The mixture of flavours complement each other perfectly.

Enjoy.

Is great as leftovers as all the flavours have even more time to merge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now