Talk

Advanced search

no bake alternatives to healthy(ish) cake?

(7 Posts)
MamaChocoholic Sun 14-Apr-13 19:24:14

We're in a bit of a habit of baking on a Sunday afternoon (2yo twins and me). Something like banana bread or carrot cake that I can fool myself is a bit healthy, and that ds can take a piece in packed lunches.

But with the weather warming up, I'm less inclined to put the oven on. Is there such a thing as fake-healthy refrigerator cake? Or any other no bake option?

I know cake isn't really healthy, of course, but I think kids should be allowed it all in moderation. However, I am not keen on super sweet chocolate syrup type things, and would rather make something we all eat.

moonmrs Sun 14-Apr-13 19:33:19

Something like a fruit tart/flan?

Flapjack/muesli bars - although would need baking but I'm sure there are some versions where you just melt butter?

Pavlova? Less healthy but you can use crème fraiche instead of cream, and top with whatever fruits you like, although not so much a cake...

Drladybird Sun 14-Apr-13 20:45:11

I make these banana banana biscuits with my toddler and they only need 15-20 minutes in the oven so not too much time to warm up the room.
I've been meaning to make these healthier crisp rice treats but haven't got round to it yet. They sound a great, healthier alternative...

MamaChocoholic Mon 15-Apr-13 05:54:03

Thanks, not convinced pavlova would survive a lunchbox, but quick bakes like biscuits or flapjacks a good option. Will investigate fruit tarts, prob with bought pastry which is somehow more forgiving of toddler's attention!

moonmrs Mon 15-Apr-13 19:25:47

Oops sorry completely overlooked the lunchbox friendly bit, no I wouldn't suggest pavlova in that case! But yes, ready bought pastry and flan cases would be a quick non cook option for when we get those hot summer days wink

sharond101 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:31:10

How about pancakes with caramelized bananas or homemade chocolate sauce?

AnimatedDad Mon 15-Apr-13 22:33:56

Well, if its not unhealthy and its not baked, it's probably stretching the definition of cake a little....

Um... You could do drop scones.

Or one of those layered spongy things where they squish raspberries and stuff into pudding dishes.... I'm sure there's a name for it... Is it summer pudding?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now