Talk

Advanced search

I need healthy, filling meals for less than 45p per portion. What would you cook?

(25 Posts)
PeggyCarter Sun 14-Apr-13 18:13:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MortifiedAdams Sun 14-Apr-13 18:16:52

Chilli and Rice. Quorn or mince, passatta, tin kidney or.nixed beans, sprinkle of chilli flakes. Rice. Grated cheese.

MortifiedAdams Sun 14-Apr-13 18:20:21

quesedillas - tortilla in a dry frying pan topped with grated cheese and whatever else it to hand, little more cheese and another tortilla on the top. Once they start to sticl together, flip over til cooked both sides. One whole one per adult with a couple slices cut put for the kids. Serve with guacamole shop.bought or home made. My dd (16mo) loves these!

TheRealFellatio Sun 14-Apr-13 18:24:05

Pulses are the way forward here. A lovely garlicky, spicy lentil dhal cannot be beaten.

Rice, polenta, jacket spuds, pasta, and get your protein from beans. Buy really cheap cuts of meat for flavour rather than for eating the meat itself. So long as things taste meaty you won't miss it. Chicken wings, for example, in soups and stews laden with root veg (parsnips, swede, turnip, carrots etc.)

A tin of tuna goes a long way with pasta or rice because it is so intensely flavoured. The same with smoked streaky bacon. A three or four rashers chopped and fried can lift all manner of otherwise cheap/bland pastas, soups etc.

And eggs are really filling and healthy. Omelettes with baked beans or salad and some bread.

BlackandGold Sun 14-Apr-13 18:24:18

Jkt potato with beans and cheese.

Chicken can be roasted then used for sandwiches, carcass and meat for soup etc.

H/m veg soup with cheese on toast.

Are you buying from markets? Veg and fruit much cheaper there so can buy more/better quality and pad out with pulses etc.

Look at some of the credit crunch threads as there have been lots of ideas on there.

LineRunner Sun 14-Apr-13 18:25:55

Packet of budget pasta from supermarket - they go as low as 23p. Ditto a tin of tomatoes (31p) and a tin of tuna (49p), with chopped onion, a large grated carrot, and clove of galic, salt and pepper to taste (30p). Total = £1.33.

Add a dash of Worcester sauce if you have it.

AnotherFineMess Sun 14-Apr-13 18:28:11

Beef casserole-I use frozen stewing steak plus a bag of frozen casserole veg (from Asda) a few herbs from garden & a tin of toms. If you cook this in a slow cooker or at a very low temp in oven for a few hours, the meat is so tender that it seems like a much more expensive meal. This makes enough for 2 days if you serve with jacket potatoes one day and rice the next.

PeggyCarter Sun 14-Apr-13 18:29:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wolfcub Sun 14-Apr-13 18:29:50

have a look at weezls cheap family recipes on money saving expert healthy recipes for four for 100 a month.

stressedHEmum Sun 14-Apr-13 18:39:56

pasta with onions -

1kg onions (Aldi 69p)
1 bag value pasta (30p)
oil, salt, sugar, pepper (10p)
small bit grated cheese (30p)

Slice onions. Fry in oil until soft, add salt, pepper and spoonful of sugar and cook for another 10 minutes or so. Meanwhile, cook pasta and drain. Stir onions through hot pasta. Makes 5 or 6 servings so around 25p per person

LineRunner Sun 14-Apr-13 18:40:30

I used to make a really cheap corned beef hash, which was essentially a tin of corned beef fried up with my staple of onion, garlic, grated carrot, seasoning, and add mashed potato on top.

But it's probably as cheap now to buy some minced beef or minced turkey.

stressedHEmum Sun 14-Apr-13 18:44:19

^^ Should have said, sprinkle over grated cheese.

Tomato rice with cheese

2 cups rice(20p)
2 chopped onions(10p)
2 tins chopped tomatoes(62p)
salt and pepper
grated cheese(50p)

fry onions in a little oil. Add rice and stir until rice is translucent. Add Tomatoes and 3 cups boiling water. Season well. Bring back to the boil, reduce heat and cover tightly. Cook for about 15minutes until rice is cooked and liquid absorbed. Serve topped with grated cheese. Serves 4. Eat it with bread and butter if you need something more.

charitygirl Sun 14-Apr-13 18:49:45

Seconding the suggestion if pasta with onion sauce, but if you can cook the onions for several hours, it'll be amazing (might cost too much on the elec/gas though?). For me that's one of my favourite meals ever, economising or not. Onions also vv nutritious.

LineRunner Sun 14-Apr-13 18:58:06

Those big sacks of pasta are great, aren't they?

Value noodles are pretty good as well, about 7p a packet, which is a good sized adult portion. Great with the onions (as above), or some chopped fried vegetables and some fried chicken pieces or turkey mince. Add a dash of soy sauce.

colditz Sun 14-Apr-13 19:02:51

Tesco sell dried spaghetti for 19p for 500grams, which will easily feed four adults twice.

Spaghetti carbonara made with a few eggs, some cheap ham, some onion and frozen peas is a healthy balanced meal.

lljkk Sun 14-Apr-13 19:06:26

Many corner shops sell 25 kg bags of potatoes for about £8-£9. keep it somewhere cool & dry (shed or garage).

LineRunner Sun 14-Apr-13 19:08:26

lljkk. Help me. I can never seem to store potatoes properly. Do they have to be in a brown paper sack, in a dark place, as well as cool and dry?

stressedHEmum Sun 14-Apr-13 19:13:39

In a dark, cool place in a breathable container, so a brown paper sack, a cotton bag or the like. An old pillow slip will do the job fine.

MamaChocoholic Sun 14-Apr-13 19:15:30

Yorkshire pudding, 100g flour, 1 egg, 1/2 pint milk. Mix, let it sit for a while, mix again and into hot oil in a hot pan in a hot oven for 25 mins.

Can add another egg, sprinkle with cheese, serve with beans for more protein. This recipe is quite light, but you Can add more flour for something heavier.

lljkk Sun 14-Apr-13 19:16:52

What StressedHEM said.
The 25 kg bags are paper so just keep them tightly closed.
And use them quickly, for most meals, anything will go off if left long enough. DC love roasties, so I will cook a huge pot full one night & roast the next.
Dry and cool is the key.
We can't have 25 kg bags most summers, though, too warm then. So switch to our own grown new spuds or buying smaller amounts of taters.

LineRunner Sun 14-Apr-13 19:21:48

Thanks! I love potatoes.

Sliced and fried potatoes with onions and pepper, with anything else added, for bubble & squeak, with a dash of HP sauce or Worcester Sauce or a sprinkle of cheese.

stressedHEmum Sun 14-Apr-13 19:38:29

This is delicious. Use the rest of the packet of beans to make bean burgers or bean and ham soup.

That whole site is full of really good, cheap recipes.

jenduck Sun 14-Apr-13 22:10:44

I know you are looking for recipes & it seems you have many great ideas here. But, if budget is really an issue, could you try popping along to your local supermarket now & again in the evening for marked-down bargains?

I went to Tesco on Wednesday evening, at around 7.30pm & got a fr corn-fed chicken, 2 very large pork roasting joints (would feed 8 people each), 2 salmon fillets, 2 packs stewing lamb, 1 pack stewing beef, 3 large portions of ling (a fish I have never tried!), 1 800g pack mince, 1 pack pork chops, 2 packs burgers, 2 packs fishcakes & 2 packs of venison fillets as well as 5 loaves of bread, a packet of cakes, 3 pints of milk & a pack of organic limes & 2 cucumber halves - all for the princely sum of about £15.

I do this once or twice each month & therefore am able to feed my family of 4 (me, DH, DSes 2 & 4 with very healthy appetites! plus Dcat) a healthy, varied & often organic diet for about £150 per month including cleaning stuff, toiletries & cat food.

sashh Mon 15-Apr-13 02:24:44

Use the YP recipe above to make pancakes, you can have savory as well as sweet and if you make a stack you can freeze them.

I like them with a mushroom sauce.

Use the same YP recipe and then add a tin of sweetcorn and dried herbs - fry as sweetcorn fritters.

Good old beans on toast, with cheese and bacon if you have any or just on its own.

Tin of aduki beans (you could try others) mash half and then mix the mashed and unmashed together, form into patties and fry.

Do you have an FE college near by that teaches catering? When I was doing a course (many years ago) you could buy bread the students had made for the cost of the ingredients. I used to get a carrier full and fill the freezer.

Pocketmonster Mon 15-Apr-13 21:47:44

Spanish omelette - thinly sliced onions and potatoes fry until golden, add your beaten egg to the onions and potatoes, cook on a low heat until set. Serve. Really delicious and cuts like cake providing you do plenty of spud and onion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now