Talk

Advanced search

What nibbles can you rustle up on a whim?

(7 Posts)
Winterwardrobetime Sat 13-Apr-13 20:43:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 13-Apr-13 21:07:39

I always have (tinned) chickpeas, cannellini beans etc in, hence I am never far from a dip.

Similarly, I'd always have plain nuts in, which I could gussy up with spices and roast.

Also, a packet of pre-rolled puff pastry in the freezer could be transformed in mere minutes into all manner of nibbley things.

TeeBee Sat 13-Apr-13 22:05:10

I always have large jars of olives. I add some chopped up feta a sun dried tomatoes and olive oil. Or pitta bread rubbed with olive oil and crushed garlic, wrapped in baking parchment and baked in the oven, cut into triangles and served with humous.

Laquila Sat 13-Apr-13 22:13:39

HazeltheMcWitch that is my exact same attitude to nibbles/standby nibbles plan. It's amazing what you can do with puff pastry! Also, pitta breads in the freezer, and veggies like celery, carrots or cucumber.

AnimatedDad Sun 14-Apr-13 09:32:16

I always have poppadoms in (you can buy them in packs of 10 or 20 flat and uncooked. They look like plastic disks.

45s in the microwave and they're ready to eat with mango chutney and lime pickle.

If I've got a bit longer though ill often make a pizza with a simple flour and water dough.

Laquila Sun 14-Apr-13 14:05:49

Just thought of another one - I always have those little tins of mackerel fillets in the pantry, which can be whisked up/mashed up to sme mackerel pate or dip. I normally add lemon juice, black pepper and cottage cheese, but I've also added plain yoghurt, creme fraiche and ricotta before. Mmmmmmm yummy on brown toast.

CharlieUniformNovemberTango Sun 14-Apr-13 14:15:32

I usually have reduced english muffins in the freezer and they make great pizzas on short notice.

Also wraps make a great crispy pizza base too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now