Talk

Advanced search

Cranberry juice

(8 Posts)
Jux Sat 13-Apr-13 12:58:14

A friend stayed with us recently and he's left a litre of this behind. None of us want to drink it! Is there something I can cook with it? I was thinking there might be something interesting like the gammon in coke - something like that?

Thanks.

WallyBantersYoniBox Sat 13-Apr-13 19:54:44

CRAISIN CRANBERRY BREAD 
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or orange extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon orange peel, grated
3/4 cup cranberry juice or buttermilk
1 1/2 cups Craisins
1 1/2 cups cranberries, fresh, chopped
1/2 fresh peeled orange, pulped (optional)
1 teaspoon grated orange zest (optional)
1/2 cup chopped pecans or slivered almonds
Combine all ingredients, taking care not to overmix. Mixture should still be lumpy.
Spread batter in a greased and lightly floured loaf or small bundt pan. Sprinkle top lightly with sugar.

Bake in a pre-heated 350°F oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.

Jux Sat 13-Apr-13 20:38:20

Oh that looks pretty yum! I'm assuming craisins are dried cranberries? Do you think I could leave them out (mainly because we haven't got any)? Then I could make it tomorrow!

WallyBantersYoniBox Sat 13-Apr-13 20:42:26

It is hard to find recipes using cranberry juice.

I suppose you could use it with gelatine or a packet of jelly.

I'm assuming craisins are dried ones too, but I'd use raisins instead? Or mixed fruit! Perhaps soak them overnight in more cranberry juice?

Make cocktails - Amaretto and cranberry juice = Heaven in a glass. It tastes like Bakewell Pudding. smile

mrsvilliers Sat 13-Apr-13 20:57:03

Those cocktails sound good! I don't like cranberry juice neat but do when it's diluted like squash, either with tap or fizzy water.

Jux Sat 13-Apr-13 21:52:30

Cocktails would be wasted unless we kept the juice for about 6 weeks until my birthday! I really only drink socially and dh is out. He will only drink wine or beer and dd is 13. Actually, she's having a sleepover tonight so I could quickly mix in some vodka or brandy - or better still, both - and take them up a tray? What do you think? wink

Good idea re soaking dried fruit in the juice overnight, Wally. I'll do that now.

WallyBantersYoniBox Sat 13-Apr-13 23:16:51

Freeze it until you hit the cocktails then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now