Talk

Advanced search

The Curry Secret

(14 Posts)
Reality Sat 13-Apr-13 09:40:15

How bad is it going to pong?

DH is really clamouring for me to start it but the basic sauce is 2lb of onions cooked to fuck for and hour and a half with spices.

I love curry, don't get me wrong, but we are going to a party tomorrow and I'd rather not reek of takeaway.

Have any of you made it? Is it worth it (I think probably yes) but more imprtantly does the smell linger for weeks?

Reality Sat 13-Apr-13 09:40:50

This, by the way, is what I am waffling about

blue2 Sat 13-Apr-13 09:43:33

I made a curry from The Cinnamon Club cookbook and it took me the best part of a week! I'm impressed that you'll get this done in less time grin

You and your house will smell, but open the windows and don't wear your cooking clothes to the party!

Hassled Sat 13-Apr-13 09:47:23

Your house is going to smell bloody lovely.
Wash your hair before the party and you'll be fine. And if there's a faint waft of garam masala as you pass someone - that's no bad thing. Could be far far worse.

Reality Sat 13-Apr-13 09:50:09

I do love the smell of takeaway style curry. My mum, whose party it is, will be less enthused.

I think I'll give it a go. I might have to move the cheesecakes out of the fridge first though.

AnimatedDad Sat 13-Apr-13 10:23:16

I've found that the only thing in curry that smells the following day is fenugreek.

It somehow seems to come through the pores of your skin. Everything else in curry seems fine to me

Reality Sat 13-Apr-13 10:27:09

Well funnily enough fenugreek is the one thing I don't have so I was going to leave it out.

Reality Sat 13-Apr-13 11:19:40

I've invited my mum round to eat it with us so even if we do whiff tomorrow she won't notice because she will pong along.

FurryDogMother Sat 13-Apr-13 11:27:10

I've made the sauce from that book many, many times, and the smell is usually gone by the next morning - sadly, because I love it!

BoundandRebound Sat 13-Apr-13 11:56:13

I hate the recipes in that book I never thought they were deep or rich enough tbh

Reality Sat 13-Apr-13 12:16:54

Well it's on. And crikey it pongs.

I'm looking forward to putting some spice in because at the moment the miasma of onion is quite overpowering.

multitask Sat 13-Apr-13 19:30:17

Did something similar once when the family were out I didn't really notice the smell other than yummy but everyone complained the house absolutely stank and did so for days!

Reality Sat 13-Apr-13 19:34:59

OMG it was amazing.

Did a korma and a madras and some chicken tikka.

Could have done with twice as much tbh.

FurryDogMother Sun 14-Apr-13 15:37:54

Just to add that I've since moved on from The Curry Secret - this site here: Secret Curry Recipes houses my current favourite recipes (start with a base sauce and then use that to make the curries). Some of it requires a subscription to access, but the basic gravy recipe(s) and popular curries like korma, madras etc. are all free. Also check out Curry2Go on YouTube - the guy's name is Julian, and he has an e-book of his recipes on sale which I find very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now