Talk

Advanced search

Fish/ veg dishes for a 1 & 2 year old?

(8 Posts)
AlrightOnTheNight Fri 12-Apr-13 20:13:05

Hi, my babies go to a childminder 3 days a week, she is Muslim and only halal meat allowed in the house- so I just give them fish and veg dishes. But it's getting very boring and repetitive and this half term they will be going full time for 7 weeks...

So normally lunch and dinners are:

Quorn lasagne/ veg lasagne/ tuna lasagne

Mac cheese/ tuna bake/ veg bake

Fish fingers mash peas

Ravioli filled with cheese or veg

Fish pie

I tried sandwiches for lunch to make it a bit easier but the 1 year old wouldn't eat it.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Especially anything I can make in bulk and freeze!

curlyLJ Fri 12-Apr-13 21:00:55

fish curry - my DD loves coley korma (al la Jamie Olivier) and has done since she was very young. It's basically a white fish curry made with korma paste and coconut milk, so not spicy...

Some sort of savoury rice - like a paella but without the meat?

Pesto pasta - my DD can't get enough of this and it's my fail-safe meal that I know she will always eat. Sometimes I add in peas or sweetcorn or chopped cherry tomatoes too (and chicken but I know that's no good for you in this situation)to bulk it out.

AlrightOnTheNight Fri 12-Apr-13 21:23:38

Thank you, I have lots of white fish in the freezer but had NO idea what do with it. Will def do the curry with it.
They've never had pesto either as I've never had it! Will try it as well.
Thanks. smile

jenduck Fri 12-Apr-13 21:24:32

HM fish cakes - made with fish, potato, eggs

Also, 20 child-friendly fish recipes here

Halal recipes here

Mumcentreplus Fri 12-Apr-13 22:26:03

Fish Finger sandwich?

My Tuna Thingie/ Stew

2 tins of tuna (in spring water)

diced small onion,mushroom,pepper (any colour),garlic (optional), chilli (optional)

black pepper,veggie cube (oxo is my fav),soya sauce

pasta sauce (best imo is loyds chilli and tomato)

Recipe:

slurp of olive oil

fry onions till opaque,then(optional garlic) add mushrooms then peppers(optional chilli) till light brown,then add crumbled veggie oxo cube, soya sauce, black pepper ...fry...then pasta sauce & stir ...

Add drained tuna and water..stir..then stir some more and taste

let it bubble and taste again...it's that simple

you can have with rice,pasta,mash,mini potatoes...

Mumcentreplus Fri 12-Apr-13 22:27:37

bubble with cover...foil or pot cover

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 13-Apr-13 09:40:11

If the one year ok'd wouldn't eat sandwiches could that have been a one off? Does she eat them at home?

Whatalotofpiffle Sat 13-Apr-13 10:26:40

Could you buy halal meat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now