Talk

Advanced search

So 10 year old DD is vegetarian.....

(10 Posts)
XBenedict Fri 12-Apr-13 12:34:38

.....any good books/websites out there for inspiration?

CorrieDale Fri 12-Apr-13 13:35:59

So here you are! And I'm afraid I'm no use at all! I've been veggie for so long I don't bother doing anything new so I don't have any book recommendations.

What I would say is it's best to keep it simple. We eat pasta with some kind of meat free sauce 2-3 x a week. If you use quorn to replace the meat content, you'll only have to do one meal. Always a bonus.

We eat a fair bit of quorn primarily because it's so low fat but is pretty filling. We also get through loads of chick peas and lentils. These are great for cheap curries and with patak's pastes, they're quick to make. We have stir fries once a week with either noodles or rice. Risotto and gnocchi are popular as are pizza (natch!) we don't eat that much cheese but that's because of the high fat content.

If family are round for Sunday lunch I either get a veggie pie from our local country market, or a quorn roast. For school friends to tea I do either pasta or, if I'm feeling like buying cheap popularity, pizza and oven chips. I work at the country market so we always have good cake and puddings in the freezer.

For the rest, I love my slow cooker and although the children are less keen they understand that until they can cook for themselves, they just have to suck it up! Veggie stews with pulses are a god send for those days when I don't have time to cook in the evening. They have school lunches so I don't have to do sandwiches (can't bear making sandwiches).

As you may gather , I 'm not one of life 's enthusiastic cooks. Definitely a chore! But being veggie isn't the hassle it used to be. That's mostly down to quorn I think - huge improvement on soya or the TVP we had before. Most kids we know prefer the quorn sausages to the real thing!

YonisLittleBairnClit Fri 12-Apr-13 13:41:30

Vegweb is a veggie website where people post their own recipies.
BBC food do good recipies too.
Blogs I find are usually the best places for veggie inspiration. FB can also be good there are loads of veggie pages. I do try to avoid the overly emotive ones that seem determined to turn all veggies against 'evil' meat eaters.
Here are some of my favourites
bitofthegoodstuff.com/recipes/

ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/food-entrees/

A few other tips Quorn products are completely fake manufactured foods.
Some people avoid Soya, or seriously limit it ( I use soya mince maybe once a month it makes delicious spag Bol ) because it may disturb females hormones.
A good minced beef substitute is green lentils or Puy lentils they keep their shape very well so of you were to do shepherds pie or spag bol you can just have a small sauce pan on the side with lentils on it.

Eggs are a really good protein food, I hadnt eaten eggs in about 10 years until I went veggie when I was 16. Same goes for nuts, good for school snacks.

Linda McCartney do frozen sausages that are soya free, made out of wheat protein. They really do taste like sausages. Morrissions are doing the, now for half price at £1.10.

YonisLittleBairnClit Fri 12-Apr-13 13:43:54

I really must change my name back. blush I'm not usually so vulgar promise....

XBenedict Fri 12-Apr-13 13:47:52

Fabulous tips! Thank you both so much. I thought she'd change her mind after a couple of days but we had a chat about it last night and she really wants to be a vegetarian and I'm happy to support her but need to know she is still getting a balanced diet.

XBenedict Fri 12-Apr-13 13:48:40

grin @ name change comment - I believe you!

nettie Fri 12-Apr-13 14:01:00

If you want to encourage her to prepare here own stuff, this book is really good

www.amazon.co.uk/Sam-Sterns-Eat-Vegetarian-Stern/dp/1406319759/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365771512&sr=8-1&keywords=Sam+vegetarian+cookbook

I think vegetaran society have lot of useful info for new veggies on their website.

Arcticwaffle Fri 12-Apr-13 14:07:58

I have 3 veggie dds. DP and I eat mostly veggie food but occasionally organic meat or fish, but the dds will have none of that.

What we did with the fussiest is make a list of suitable veggie protein, making sure she has a range of dairy, nut+pulse, quorn (so not all dairy and not all quorn). Then she had to work out which she'd like.

I also say to my dds that they can 2 but not 3 of the following 3: be fussy, be vegetarian, and eat out, but you can't be all of those. So if we are out and they are offered just one veggie choice they're not wild about then tough.

Easy veggie protein: tinned chickpeas. Red lentils (soups, sauces, pies). Eggs. Baked beans. Peanut butter. Nuts as snacks (cashews, peanuts, etc).

Really easy veggie protein: quorn and soya and veggie products from all the big supermarkets. The UK is an easy country to be veggie in. My dc and dp all love all the meat substitute stuff, I don't but it makes life and cooking simple.

CorrieDale Sat 13-Apr-13 15:20:54

I love your style arcticwaffle! 2 out of 3 is going to be arriving in our house too!

UniqueAndAmazing Sat 13-Apr-13 15:28:18

One thing that I suggest is that you don't give her "special" meals.

Give her just what everyone else has, but not the meat.
You can replace the meat with meat substitutes (but not Quorn because it's like feeding gristle)
If you're making something that is mostly meat (like spaghetti bolognese), you will have to make a separate sauce, but I reckon if you make a big batch and freeze it, then take out a portion each time for her, that would be a lot easier for you.

Sunday lunches are the easiest - make sure that there's no meat juices anywhere, the roasts are done in vegetable fat and roasted in their own tray, and use Bisto for gravy (the beef granules are veggie), then that's all good.
you can give her a veggie burger or sausage along with it.

We made these burgers last week and they were yummy.

It's always worth looking through the Good Food website (same link) and just highlighting the vegetarian recipes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now