Talk

Advanced search

Asian slow cooker recipes - anyone ever made pho?

(5 Posts)
buildingmycorestrength Tue 09-Apr-13 10:06:52

Am looking for deeply flavourful slow cooker recipes that are a bit unusual and that the kids might like. I wondered about pho? Any other Asian slow cooker recipes?

I made a fab Thai fish stew the other day which I really recommend. It is kind of sweet because of the coconut milk, and I don't put in chili. Once you buy the spices (galangal, kaffir lime leaves, and lemongrass) they keep for ages. Bung all the spices (2 pieces of each), any sort of fish (can be frozen) , coconut milk, and stock in the slow cooker. Cook for ages. Add the juice of an couple of limes near the end. Serve with rice or noodles. Yum. Easy. Can also make it with chick peas or just make a broth.

inia Tue 09-Apr-13 10:19:08

No idea - but in my experience Thai is all about quick, shark cooking, even the curries and especially fish. Putting it into a slow cooker sounds strange to me.
You could try looking towards Indonesian/Malay.. things like Rendang might be more suitable

buildingmycorestrength Tue 09-Apr-13 10:21:08

Am absolutely not an expert at all. But making the broth it seemed a good idea to let the flavours cook for longer. And it makes the fish very tender.

Anyway, it tasted okay.

I like shark cooking too wink.

buildingmycorestrength Tue 09-Apr-13 10:24:37

Oh, and thanks for tips... rendang sounds great. Will try it!smile

buildingmycorestrength Tue 16-Apr-13 13:22:25

I found this recipe for 'Chinese Style braised beef' which looks good. HAven't tried it yet.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9646/chinesestyle-braised-beef-onepot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now