Talk

Advanced search

Cereal bar recipes?

(6 Posts)
Crutchlow35 Sun 07-Apr-13 12:18:33

I can't eat first thing so generally have a cereal bar at work. Of course these are expensive so I thought about making my own although I am not a great fan of nuts but happy with cranberries, sultanas etc. I saw a receipe someone posted on here which combines the dry ingredients with condensed milk. I just wonder if anyone has any other recepies that could be a bit healthier than using condensed milk?

SavoyCabbage Sun 07-Apr-13 12:23:17

I do Nigella's lunch treats from nigella express. I don't know about healthy as they ave chocolate in but they do use rice malt syrup rather than golden syrup. I don't think any cereal bars are going to be that healthy.

I put different nuts and seeds in mine but keep the proportions the same. I put it in a silicone tin and cut it up, wrap individually in cling film and I keep them in the fridge.

Crutchlow35 Sun 07-Apr-13 12:26:34

Thanks. Never heard of rice malt syrup though.

SavoyCabbage Sun 07-Apr-13 12:28:39

Neither had I but I got it at the supermarket.

Liskey Sun 07-Apr-13 19:40:26

These date bar slices are very nice (but might be a bit cakey)

www.flowersinthekitchen.co.uk/2009/05/rachel-allens-date-bars.html

Drladybird Mon 08-Apr-13 10:18:45

I agree with Savoy, some of the cereal bars don't seem so healthy. What about making a healthy granola and snacking on that? I know there is a recipe on goodfood for 'good for you granola'. Alternatively, I make these Banana Biscuits for my daughter. They have many of the good things that you would expect in breakfast, oats, bananas and no sugar, so they might be a good starting point?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now