Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for dinner

(7 Posts)
NotSoNervous Wed 03-Apr-13 18:47:25

Hi, I'm in desperate need of some inspiration for evening meals. DP won't have a dinner without meat. I don't eat pork and neither of us like fish, I would be tempted to try some again though.

We both can be difficult and we always end up having the same old. I enjoy cooking but have a 5m old DD so I don't get to spend as much time in the kitchen anymore.

If anyone has any ideas/recipes (easier the better) it would be greatly appreciated

2cats2many Wed 03-Apr-13 18:50:33

Salmon steaks are easy to cook and tasty to eat. We had some tonight with cheesey mash and peas. They are also good with noodles, rice or pasta. It's quite a 'meaty' fish too.

spilttheteaagain Wed 03-Apr-13 21:17:39

I made a gorgeous beef stroganoff for dinner tonight with leftover roast beef, and so easy!

Saute finely sliced onion/shallot until going golden
Add masses of sliced mushrooms, generous salt & pepper, some torn up thyme and rosemary and a knob of butter and cook for about 5 mins.
Add a couple of cloves of crushed garlic and cook for another min.
Add the strips of cold cooked beef and mix round.
Crumble in a chicken oxo and add a slosh of boiling water.
Reduce down for a couple of mins.
Chuck in some parsley (I buy the fresh frozen stuff)
Turn off heat and stir in some cream.
Warm through and serve with rice and/or a green salad or green veg if you like (we had it with buttered broccoli and fried courgettes)

spilttheteaagain Wed 03-Apr-13 21:20:19

Another one I got from a supermmarket recipe card:

Mexican style chicken stew

Diced celery, carrot and onion (if feeling especially lazy you can buy a bag of this mix frozen -called soffrito mix)
Diced chicken breast
1-2 tbsp chipotle paste (smoked jalopenos basically)
Couple of cloves of garlic
1 tin tomatoes, squirt of tom puree
1 tin beans of your choice (I used a mixed one)
Cubed butternut squash (recipe says 500g for 4 people, I just used a very small one)
Chopped pepper (optional)
Fresh coriander

Saute the celery, carrot and onion in a bit of oil and butter for a few mins til softened.
Add the chicken and fry til sealed, with a bit of salt and pepper (I added some fresh thyme and rosemary as I have the plants sitting there growing fast!)
Add the chipotle paste and crushed garlic and fry for another min
Chuck in the drained beans, the tin toms, the butternut squash, the pepper, a squirt of tom puree and a bit of boiling water.
Simmer gently for about 20 mins or until the squash is cooked.
Scatter with fresh coriander and serve with rice and/or a green salad.

The basic recipe didn't include peppers so you could skip them to make it even easier.

spilttheteaagain Wed 03-Apr-13 21:32:34

I know you said you don't eat pork, but not sure if you also don't eat any pig related products? Some of these may not be to your taste if so, but hope there's something you like.

Cauliflower and broccoli cheese? You can make the sauce really easily by just melting together about 50g cream cheese, a slosh of double cream and a generous heap of grated cheddar. Pour this over the steamed veg and bake until golden on top. You can serve it with sausages or steak or whatever you fancy.

Chicken myers.
Place broccoli florets and diced chicken breast in an oven dish. Mix in a jug 4 tbsp mayo, 4 tbsp double cream, half a chicken oxo, a cup of boiling water and some torn up thyme and rosemary. Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli, season, and top with grated cheese. Bake for about 1hr at 180.

Chorizo and bean stew.
Add olive oil to pan, dice onions and, cut up a chorizo sausage and add to pan, squeeze in some garlic puree, add smoked paprika, tinned tomatoes, a tin of butterbeans (or other beans if you prefer), some water, cover and cook for half an hour. Serve with salad/bread.

Green veg bake. Serve with sausages or whatever
Chopped cabbage in pan with butter, s&p and chopped leeks. Add chopped sprouts and bag of washed spring greens or defrosted frozen spinach (anything goes!). Add lots of crushed garlic. Sauté until all veg is soft. Pour into shallow dish. Pour over cream or creme fraiche and cover in cheese. Bake 25 mins.

Sausage and medditerranean veg bake
Cook sausages in a roasting tray. Prick the skins. Add chopped red onion, courgettes, aubergine, half tin chopped tomatoes, basil leaves, garlic, salt & pepper. Also add chilli or other herbs if you want. If you don't have any basil or herbs and couple of dollops of pesto will do. Drizzle with olive oil and put in oven. You can add some balsamic vinegar if you wish. Put back in oven for 25 mins. Serve with salad.

Curries in the slow cooker are great and very flexible on timings etc.

sharond101 Wed 03-Apr-13 22:18:31

We are not fish lovers but one of our favourites is a slice of cod spread with red pesto and topped breadcrumbs of a slice of seeded bread. Ovenbake for 10 minutes at 200dgrees cent.

NotSoNervous Thu 04-Apr-13 09:20:17

Thank you all some great ideas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now