Talk

Advanced search

What would you serve with Tacos?

(19 Posts)
MarnieMadden Tue 02-Apr-13 15:10:24

Son has 2 mates coming over tomorrow, and are staying for tea. My DS has asked if they can have Tacos, which is fine - but would you serve anything else with them, and if so what? Im not sure how filling a few Tacos would be for 3 13 year olds!
Thanks

boardingschoolbaby Tue 02-Apr-13 15:12:03

You can do cheesy wedges to fill them up too- just a bag of oven wedges with grated cheese melted on top

boardingschoolbaby Tue 02-Apr-13 15:12:51

I now REALLY want some tacos!!

Earlybird Tue 02-Apr-13 15:13:48

Rice and black beans. And make some guacamole.

catballou Tue 02-Apr-13 15:14:22

You can put in chicken bits, chopped up lettuce , cheese....salsa. Anything really. They are a bit messy but teenagers seem to love them. My daughter is making some for herself right now...using quorn mince , lettuce and cheese.

ArbitraryUsername Tue 02-Apr-13 15:16:18

There's a JO 15 min recipe for pork tacos with black beans and avocado salad. It's easy and nice.

Might want to substitute the salad for cheesy wedges for teenage boys though. grin would also be good with corn on the cob.

Moominsarehippos Tue 02-Apr-13 15:18:02

I'm assuming its the V shaped shell ones? Make chilli and have loads of shredded lettuce, tomatoes, spring onions and grated cheese (chillis if they can handle it). Maybe some plain rice to finish off the chilli.

Newspapers on the table and floor for the fallout though!

MarnieMadden Tue 02-Apr-13 15:18:06

Cheesy wedges! God they sound delish! We normally just have them on their own, as a quick Friday night tea but I can imagine the lads demolishing them in seconds and still being hungry!
How would I make the rice and black beans please?

ArbitraryUsername Tue 02-Apr-13 15:22:51

pinchmysalt.com/semi-homemade-refried-beans-recipe/ refried beans are good with tacos too. Or you could just buy an old el paso ready made. grin

MarnieMadden Tue 02-Apr-13 15:25:33

Yeah, they're the stand and stuff type tacos! I dread to think of the mess they are going to make tho!
Some great ideas on here - Muchas Gracias all!

ArbitraryUsername Tue 02-Apr-13 15:26:41

Note: refried beans are ludicrously filling. This is often very useful when feeding teenage boys.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 02-Apr-13 15:27:30

Chilli con carne.

Tacos arent a meal, they're an accompaniment.

Moominsarehippos Tue 02-Apr-13 15:45:19

I love them! Definitely sloppy chilli with 'bits'!

I do a simple beany chilli to fill them with then bowls of chopped lettuce, grated carrot, soured cream, grated cheese, guacamole. Lovely - even super fussy dd1 likes them!

PollyEthelEileen Tue 02-Apr-13 16:46:32

I wouldn't serve anything with tacos. They are a complete meal in themselves.

Lulabellarama Tue 02-Apr-13 16:47:50

You need chilli, rice, refried beans, cheese, salsa and sour cream.
I so want tacos now

NettoSuperstar Tue 02-Apr-13 16:51:15

They are a complete meal here too, but then neither DD or I are teenage boys!
You need wedges and beans too.

TheCatInTheHairnet Tue 02-Apr-13 16:57:07

Tacos are a brilliant teenagers food (and playdate food) as everyone can choose what they like.
I do mild chilli, bowls with shredded lettuce, cheese, corn, shredded carrots, diced tomatoes, sour cream and hard and soft tacos.
I also do fish tacos with homemade slaw for me. I love taco night!!

wonkylegs Tue 02-Apr-13 17:02:19

We do tacos with chilli beef, salad (toms, peppers, lettuce/leaves, cucumber) guacamole, sour cream, grated cheese, refried beans (and rice on the side if our DS is eating with us - he mixes it with the chilli to cool it down a bit)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now