Talk

Advanced search

I need some help please - packet jelly is always too runny....

(7 Posts)
proudmum74 Sun 31-Mar-13 07:44:12

I'm normally pretty good at making all things desert related, but for some reason I've never been able to make packet jelly blush, it always turns out too runny & never fully sets or holds any shape.

I follow the recipe exactly, leave to set for the right time etc. but it always turns out the same way - what am I doing wrong?

It's my DD 3rd birthday party next weekend & I really want to make a jelly in the lovely princess castle mould she picked out.

And is it possible to add fruit (thinking grapes & berries), or will that just make it worse?

TIA

Kahlua4me Sun 31-Mar-13 07:48:22

Try using less cold water. I tend to use half pint of boiling water, stir it and then top up to slightly under the pint mark and find it sets better. Make sure you stir it enough when adding both lots of water.

proudmum74 Sun 31-Mar-13 07:54:04

OK, thank you!

seeker Sun 31-Mar-13 07:56:07

You need to make it really really stiff to turn out of a fancy mould- MUCH less water! I would practice during the week,if I were you.

I wouldn't add fruit, it does affect the setting.

OrWellyAnn Sun 31-Mar-13 08:05:21

Fruit us fine, but not pineapple, it stops the jelly from setting. I'd use two packets (or 3 depending on how big your mould is) and just over half the water suggested. If you really want to impress your DD you can make each of the packets a different colour and do it over a few hours to let each colour set before adding the next. Our kids love 'rainbow' jelly!

TotallyBursar Sun 31-Mar-13 08:21:00

If you have time to trial it you can add more gelatine, leaf or powder, to the mix.
I have found reducing the water enough to make it stiff enough for the mould means too much sweetness & concentrated flavour for us. I could just be very crap at packet jelly! It's always worked well for me though - have several bunnies setting in the fridge now that would have been roadkill bunny on the plate otherwise.
So, particularly when adding berries, I add extra setting agent. Too much and you get rubber cement though, much like too little water - a mistake I only made once!
Def a Yy to rainbow jelly though - looks and tastes great.
I blame the water grin I never had ishoos before we moved! Amazing really as the water is so hard here you can pretty much chew it straight out of the tap.
Hope your dd has a lovely birthday thanks

snoworneahva Sun 31-Mar-13 10:29:42

I wonder if your jug is accurate. I have be that is 30mls out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now