Talk

Advanced search

Sudden panic about roast dinner tomorrow

(6 Posts)
redwellybluewelly Fri 29-Mar-13 21:31:29

Hi

I'm doing lunch for four adults and two young children tomorrow. Because of the smaller guests we are eating early at 12, so therefore I'm trying to get all prepared tonight.

Hence discovering that the green veg has gone off (bought Thursday) . So I have Roast pork, stuffing, roast spuds, mashed spuds, carrots. I need another veg don't I? And gravy?

I was going to do ginger and pear crumble with custard affterwards as I have quite a few to use up. Then hot cross buns with afternoon tea. So don't want lunch to be too heavy.

Not used to catering for people I don't know so well. Oh and I have red wine as well

dairymoo Fri 29-Mar-13 21:58:22

If you don't want lunch to be too heavy I'd only go for one type of potato. Perhaps mash and then roast the carrots instead? Do you have any red onions/sweet potato/butternut squash that you could roast alongside it? Or roast the potatoes & cook the carrots as normal. Do you have any apples to make apple sauce? That with the juices from the roast pork should be enough 'liquid' on the plate, I'd think?

Do you have any frozen green veg - even peas would be fine. Agree that you might need a little more colour on the plate - but that's only from an aesthetic point of view.

Ginger & pear crumble sounds delish!

snoworneahva Sat 30-Mar-13 08:11:30

I think your menu sounds great, peas would be fine - your chosen veggies are always popular with small people. Gravy is easy and you'll have ingredients for it in your cupboard, just using the meat juices, thicken with butter, maybe cream and stock. Pear and ginger crumble sounds lovely - served with ice cream, custard or cream - have you got that stuff in.
Drinks for younger children? Some of them don't drink water or milk and it's nt the time to impose your views on the subject.
Have fun!

JamNan Sat 30-Mar-13 09:14:06

Sounds lovely. What about a green leafy vegetable to go with the pork such as kale, spinach, Savoy cabbage. I would also go for apple sauce too. For gravy, you can't beat instant gravy granules (Bisto) made with the veg water.

Our children like pear juice or elderflower cordial diluted with fizzy water as a treat.

redwellybluewelly Sat 30-Mar-13 18:21:01

Went ok ish but I'm very out of practice with entertaining!

Carrots a tad overdone but broad beans were a great stand in, roast spuds and the pork were great. Used a BBC food recipe for the apple sauce but forgot to do gravy which it did need really on reflection.

Red wine ignored (pleased I didn't open it) however crumble was great with custard.

Thanks for advice, think I need to do more practice!

snoworneahva Sat 30-Mar-13 19:55:12

Well done! I think we all panic over the food a bit but most people just like to be cooked for! Now you've got this one under your belt, there should be no stopping you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now