Talk

Advanced search

Slow cooker question

(6 Posts)
LoveThatWednesdayFeeling Fri 29-Mar-13 19:48:19

Can I prepare a casserole the night before and leave it in the fridge?

I brought a slow cooker last week and done a casserole during the day when I was at home. Now I want to do another tomorrow but I don't want to faf about browsing meat and chopping veg first thing In the morning.

I'm worried that leaving chopped veg over night will 'dry' it out? Should I add the liquid?

The casserole was truly delicious!

Themobstersknife Fri 29-Mar-13 19:51:15

I have done it the night before and it didn't dry out. I think I put whatever sauce I was using in with the veg but I can't really remember. I put the whole slow cooker dish in the fridge but next time I will put it in a tupperware and bung it in in the morning, because I am worried the cold dish will take ages to warm up.

LoveThatWednesdayFeeling Fri 29-Mar-13 19:56:41

Ohh thanks knife, I never thought about the time it would take to heat up the sc dish.

I'm going to give it a go. I'll update.

dreamingofsun Fri 29-Mar-13 22:06:38

yes its fine. i did the other day with beef stew. i don't bother browning the meat. if its going to be on all day it will warm up and cook.

ceeveebee Fri 29-Mar-13 22:16:12

I did this with the filling for a steak pie on Thursday - chopped all veg and put in a Tupperware in fridge, then in morning just tipped it in and the meat, added the liquid and switched it on - was delicious

LoveThatWednesdayFeeling Mon 01-Apr-13 18:31:13

sorry for the delay in updating. Yes, it was fine. Not as nice as the first one I cooked but I put that down to using a packet of Colman's cottage pie mix. Next time I will just stick to oxo cubes and leaving the lid off for half an hour to thicken up the liquid.

Thanks you for your replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now