Talk

Advanced search

Epic Chocolate Cake for 18th Birthday

(5 Posts)
lookoveryourshouldernow Thu 28-Mar-13 23:27:14

Hi,

I have seriously managed to evade "baking" (I cook but don't bake) for most of my life now and it is coming up to my son's 18th birthday..

Would love to surprise him with a fantastic chocolate cake - please can you share your fool-proof recipes with me .....

Looking for something that has a really really chocolate taste and looks good ???

Many Thanks

p.s. Have tried cakes in the past but have either used the wrong sized tins or naff ingredients and the end results were best used in a trifle !!

Chinateacup Thu 28-Mar-13 23:35:00

There's a Humming Bird Bakery salted caramel oozing chocolate cake which is really quite amazing. And very gooey so doesn't need to be too precision ...

MyCatHasStaff Thu 28-Mar-13 23:38:33

this is great

blueraincoat Thu 28-Mar-13 23:38:44

First make the chocolate truffles for the top as these need time to cool in the fridge or you can just buy them.

Chocolate Cake:

Ingredients:

3 Eggs (beaten)

175g (6oz) Unsalted Butter (softened)

175g (6oz) Caster Sugar

150g (5oz) Self-raising Flour

1/2tsp Baking Powder

3tbsp Cocoa Powder

Ganache:

100g (3 1/2oz) Milk Chocolate

200ml (7fl oz) Double Cream

100g (3 1/2oz) Plain Chocolate

Toppings:

Chocolate Truffles

Cadbury’s Chocolate fingers (could also use biscuit curls)

1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).

2. Grease 2 20cm/8in round cake tins and line with greaseproof paper.

3. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the egg.

4. Sieve the remaining flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into the bowl and fold them into the mixture using a metal spoon.

5. Divide the mixture between the tins and smooth down. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until they are firm and spring back when lightly touched.

6. Whilst the cake is cooling on a wire rack, melt the plain and milk chocolate in a bain marie.

7. Remove bowl from the bain marie and allow to cool for 5 minutes before stirring in the cream. Leave for a few minutes to thicken.

8. Make sure the cakes are cool before spreading the ganache on the top of one sponge. Place the other sponge on top and use the remaining ganache to ice the top and sides of the cake.

9. Carefully place the chocolate fingers round the edge of the cake using the ganache to glue them to the cake. Place the truffles in a pile on the top of the cake and add a bow if you wish.

lookoveryourshouldernow Thu 28-Mar-13 23:45:35

..brilliant - thank you

Shall take some time tomorrow to ponder over the suggestions - I used to lurve chocolate but unfortunately I can't eat this type of treat any longer.

Let you know how I get on .....

Thanks again..

p.s. my favourite chocolate treat was (nee Is) profiteroles .... chocolate heaven....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now