Talk

Advanced search

What do you feed your sporty child?

(6 Posts)
SallyStudioIsMyFriend Thu 28-Mar-13 19:31:39

Bit of a stupid question but DD 8.8 is quite sporty and has upped her level of commitment to include training sessions of the 3sports she does per week.not an issue in itself as she loves doing them al BUT ...
..she quite often has to stop in the session as she is feeling lightheaded or hungry. This is affecting her stamina and ability to get the most out of her sessions.

So, what can I feed her beforehand that's healthy and filling but won't make her feel bloated and sick so she can last 1 hour.

TIA

Doubletroublemummy2 Thu 28-Mar-13 20:02:30

I don't think a case of feeding beore hand but to have a really well balanced diet with lots of whole grains, and "low GI" foods. Might help to know what she is currenlty having? I assume 3 meals and two snacks?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/nutrition/life_children.shtml

SallyStudioIsMyFriend Thu 28-Mar-13 20:51:58

Hi Doubletrouble

She is tall and skinny for her age so there is nothing to her really. I tend to feed her 5 smaller meals per day - probably in line with your 3meals and 2 snacks recommendation. She eats carbs - lots of pasta, hates potatoes so no mash or chips in this house. I tend to give her chicken as protein as she has limited palate, she hates any spice or spicy food so fairly bland here. I feed her lots of fresh veg and fruit so it's a fairly balanced diet but we need to vary it up a bit.

Her swimming coach told she won't improve her swimming until she builds up her stamina so we need to address this and fix this. It has just made me realise I am a bit rubbish at this and have not been feeding her the right foods to help her.

I will have a look at the website and get some gi recipes, especially snacks that can be eaten in the car on the way to swimming and netball.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

mrsvilliers Thu 28-Mar-13 22:04:40

How is she with eggs? I have a picky but generally ravenous toddler and I'll quite often do him a scrambled egg or plain omelette to fill him up and keep him going a bit longer. Or full fat yogurt with banana and handful of granola? Homemade wholemeal muffins?

Bowlersarm Thu 28-Mar-13 22:13:01

My sporty teenage DS has been told to eat little and often throughout the day, and not much in the way of carbohydrates. So he'll eat things like bananas and other fruit, muesli, dried fruit, nuts, and lots of chicken, fish with loads of salad. Not sure if that would apply to an eight year old though.

Don't forget she needs to keep hydrated so plenty of fluids.

MilkRunningOutAgain Fri 29-Mar-13 22:20:31

My DS is 10 and sporty / active. Don't forget fats in the diet, active kids need them, as do active adults. DS drinks loads of milk, eats big plates of food, I tend to do the standard 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs and 1/3 veggies. Plus lots rice pudding! Generally with stewed fruit which he loves. And a good breakfast, porridge or eggs , often an omelette, or baked beans or cheese on toast. And he eats loads of weetabix when he gets home in the evenings. And I make lots of oat, apple and raisen muffins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now