Talk

Advanced search

Easter lunch

(6 Posts)
GinAndSlimlinePlease Thu 28-Mar-13 09:24:21

I've got family coming over for easter, there will be about 10 of us.

They'll be expecting roast lamb. But we can't afford that size of lamb, and dsis is pregnant so we won't be able to have it rare. And I can't spoil a good lamb by serving it well cooked!

so I thought maybe a fish pie. Only dsis won't eat prawns, and bil won't eat salmon. so that's basically just white fish, which won't work so well.

Any suggestions on alternatives?

The constraints are:

nothing a pregnant woman can't eat
dairy free
no salmon
no tomato based sauces

would it be unreasonable to serve fishfingers and chips grin

seriously, I was pondering doing something lamb based that was affordable and could be cooked well without ruining it. But I've drawn a blank...

snoworneahva Thu 28-Mar-13 09:54:38

Lamb hotpot?

drwitch Thu 28-Mar-13 10:02:48

rolled pork shoulder is cheap and really tasty

what about lamb shoulder? can be cooked long and slow so is all tender and juicy even if it is not pink, think 2 shoulders would be more than enough, in our butchers one shoulder is about £15

or you could do a lamb leg and serve it with braised lentils to bulk it up.

you could also have a pasta starter so people would need less meat

Other option would be to cook the lamb and serve it with salad, yoghurt, humous and pittas

GinAndSlimlinePlease Thu 28-Mar-13 10:06:02

I did lamb shoulder last year and it went down a treat. I'll see how expensive it is in our butchers.

I would love to do a lamb skewer, hummus, tabuleh eastern med thing, but I fear that would lead to uproar grin

my back up option is chicken, but my (lovely) parents will complain if it's not organic, corn fed etc.

SeriousWispaHabit Thu 28-Mar-13 18:33:17

I have 16 (not sure how that happened actually hmm ) coming on Sunday and we are having turkey. Would that be an option?

Ruffello Thu 28-Mar-13 18:44:16

I'd go for the long and slow cooked lamb shoulder option too. Shoulder's usually cheaper than leg and maybe you could bulk it out with plenty of veggies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now