Talk

Advanced search

How do I thicken left over stew for pasties?

(7 Posts)
roundtower Wed 27-Mar-13 14:42:32

I have left over beef & veg stew and some shortcrust pastry.

I'm thinking of doing pasties but the gravy is very thin.

Anyone know the best way to thicken it? I don't have cornflour in the house but have flour.

Thanks

MrSlant Wed 27-Mar-13 14:45:56

Make a roux and slowly mix it in to one bit of the gravy then increase the area. I have done this before in a wide shallow pan and tilted it down so I was just starting with a little bit in the top of the pan IYSWIM, it worked really well. I await someone coming to tell me I could just have dolloped the lot in the middle and it would have worked just the same! (I was enjoying watching it thicken you see, so I just did little bits at a time, I get my fun where I can nowadays!)

I made the roux by heating up plain flour and butter together btw.

CarpeJugulum Wed 27-Mar-13 14:46:43

Plain flour mixed with a little water should do it.

Add gradually and stir well (if possible without the meat in) and then cook for a bit to cook out the flour.

MrSlant Wed 27-Mar-13 14:47:14

A roux

Sounds delicious by the way.

roundtower Wed 27-Mar-13 14:52:04

Think I'll try a roux then. Thanks

I did coat the meat in flour before browning but it never seems to thicken much for me.

I might try blending some of the stew without the meat too and adding it back in.

MrSlant Wed 27-Mar-13 14:54:06

You need the fat/flour combo to thicken stuff, I've given up coating my meat because we have it so lean nowadays there's no point although bisto works pretty well too

snoworneahva Wed 27-Mar-13 14:55:49

Can you try slow cooking your stew a bit longer? You could add some potatoes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: