Talk

Advanced search

how to stop creme brulee sinking?

(10 Posts)
PandaG Wed 20-Feb-13 22:51:43

Keen to try out my new blowtorch, I made creme brulee for the first time yesterday following this recipe

the brulees rose in the oven, and looked lovely, but sank when cooled, leaving a dip in the top. When I caramelised the sugar it pooled in the dip, making a very thick layer in the middle and none at the edge. Any ideas how I can stop the brulees sinking so I can get an even layer of caramelised sugar on the top?

they still tasted good but I was hoping for thin, brittle caramel not a thick layer that wouldn't break.

TIA smile

I havent made creme brulee in 10 years but I dont recall wanting it to rise.

Sounds like you are putting too much air in it. Its a set custard, its too heavy to rise.

PandaG Wed 20-Feb-13 23:03:11

hmm, yes, I was surprised it rose, maybe I did whisk it for too long?

You just want the eggs and sugar to be going pale.

Then when you are whisking in the cream do it in a slow steady stream. You should never have to whisk vigourisly during this bit, just enough to keep the eggs moving so they dont scramble. So quite fast but not like when whipping cream.

Clary Wed 20-Feb-13 23:20:43

I have never put a creme brulee in the oven. Delia's recipe (ignore her stupid way of doing the caramel) has always worked for me, cooked in the pan then chilled in the fridge.

Clary Wed 20-Feb-13 23:22:29

Here's delia by the way

Clary that method looks so easy but the pic looks like scrambled eggs confused

Clary Wed 20-Feb-13 23:50:41

Oooh it does doesn't it. It never has with me, nor is it that yellow!

PandaG Thu 21-Feb-13 12:31:07

thanks Clary and Wannabe - I'll try Delia's method next time! smile

PandaG Thu 04-Apr-13 11:24:30

made creme brulee following Delia's recipe at the weekend - worked perfectly, thanks very much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now