Talk

Advanced search

Slow cooker - large silverside. Timings??

(8 Posts)
Booksbooksbooks Sun 30-Dec-12 18:54:03

Help please! Got a slow cooker from my mum for Christmas. She's now given me a beef silverside joint and volunteered me to cook it for NY day for the whole family!

Please could anyone give me an idea of timings as I've looked everywhere online and timings range from 4 hours to 14-but the recipes rarely mention weight.

It's 2.5kg. I w just going to chuck in a bottle of real ale and an onion. Any advice would be great.

PotteringAlong Sun 30-Dec-12 19:26:47

I'd bung it on low for 8 hours ish.

OWe3WiseKneeHairsOfOrientAre Sun 30-Dec-12 19:28:41

Agree, 8 hours on low seems to cook just about anything.
Sounds lovely, any going spare? grin

Booksbooksbooks Sun 30-Dec-12 22:16:56

Ooh thanks so much for replying. I think I might have to dig out a timer so I can set it to go off at 6am!

MushroomSoup Sun 30-Dec-12 23:44:33

I only ever use low if I'm out all day otherwise I'm not up early enough to switch it on.

Medium or high for 4/5 hours will be fine.

ecuse Sun 30-Dec-12 23:44:42

Not sure you need bother if it has a warm setting it will just stay warm until you want to eat it. Stick it on before you go to bed and eat at lunchtime.

sashh Mon 31-Dec-12 04:28:34

I only ever cook joints on high, my first slow cooker book told me not to cook joints on low - maybe things have changed.

OWe3WiseKneeHairsOfOrientAre Mon 31-Dec-12 10:41:48

Probably a bit late now, but my slow cooker says not to cook joints on high, do I always do on low.
Agree that you can do it overnight, then leave on warm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: