Talk

Advanced search

The leftovers challenge commences! Duck, ham and turkey. ...

(6 Posts)
poachedeggs Wed 26-Dec-12 06:49:08

Mission one: Decide what soup to make with the duck carcase. It's the first time I've ever cooked a duck so I haven't a clue about this. If there's enough meat maybe noodle soup? Any suggestions welcome!

Mission two: I have more than half of an 8lb turkey left. I can't decide between a curry, really meaty turkey and ham pie, slicing and freezing it or something else. The soup can wait until tomorrow.

Mission three: I have a ton of ham left. There's no rush, as I only cooked it on Monday, but there's loads.

Mission four: Any suggestions on what I can do with a huge amount of steamed Savoy cabbage, carrots and sprouts, along with a good amount of roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes and parsnips? I overdid it a bit blush

All ideas welcome! What are your plans for your leftovers?

sashh Wed 26-Dec-12 08:37:33

Make bubble and squeak with the veg, you can eat some now and freeze some as little bars for when you can't be bothered with veg.

I vote for turkey and ham pie, it will use both the turkey and the ham.

poachedeggs Wed 26-Dec-12 09:22:55

Ooooh frozen convenience veg, good idea!

Duck stock is now on the go. I don't think there's a lot of meat left on it but hopefully a little.

Need to grab some puff pastry today. I think we're eating with family later but I can construct a pie for baking tomorrow.

ScienceRocks Wed 26-Dec-12 11:59:40

Use some of the ham, the veg and some red lentils to make a blended soup. This will freeze beautifully, and make lovely lunches in the new year.

Use the rest of the ham to make a ham and leek pie. Serve with steamed green veg.

Use the duck and duck stock to make noodle soup. Make it hot and sour to counter the richness of the duck - fish sauce, sake, mirin, ginger, chilli, garlic, lime juice etc. use rice noodles, not egg.

Use the turkey plus any leftover stuffing and cranberry sauce to make filled bread. Make a usual bread dough, then after proving, roll out (instead of knocking back) into a large thin rectangle, then spread on the cranberry and crumble over the stuffing and turkey. Roll like a Swiss roll, cut into slices, then allow to rise before baking.

poachedeggs Fri 28-Dec-12 15:27:18

So day we've had duck, turkey and ham. Then duck noodle soup, turkey and ham pie, several lots of sandwiches, ham and eggs (twice!) and I still have gammon stock frozen and the remnants of turkey to curry tonight. Not very inspiring but very tasty!

Daysies Fri 28-Dec-12 18:18:25

We had some turkey leftovers made into a chinese style duck and pancakes dish, used some chinese 5 spice and a bit of oil to fry the shredded turkey in, and served just like you would for duck and pancakes.. with cucumber, spring onions and a bit of plum sauce! Yummy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now