Talk

Advanced search

Whats your best "nice" but relaxed lunch?

(9 Posts)
Battlefront Wed 19-Dec-12 20:19:45

A friend is coming over with her 2 DC, so there'll be 2 adults and 4 DC aged 9-11. The DC are all decent eaters but not particularly adventurous. Friend is always watching her weight.

Last time I did parsnip and ginger soup for us and let the DC make their own pizzas which went down well, but I've done that before.

I'd like it to be nice, not fish fingers etc, but relaxed, not like I've spent all day in the kitchen either iyswim. I'd prefer us all to eat the same, but my friend's diet sometimes prevents that. She wouldn't refuse what was offered, but would eat only a tiny amount.

CogitOCrapNotMoreSprouts Wed 19-Dec-12 21:36:15

How about Fajitas? Big stack of warm wraps and dishes with guacamole, salsa, etc and then fry up spicy chicken/beef strips and peppers last minute and serve still sizzling in the pans. Everyone help themselves... perennial dieters can stop at one... maybe a spicy tomato soup to begin with?

Pan of homemade soup with nice bread and cheese?

Spanish omelette, salad, olives etc for picking?

Oh sorry - you did soup before.

Fajitas a good idea. Wouldn't bother with a starter. Icecream for the dc for pud and maybe fruit salad for adults?

lightrain Wed 19-Dec-12 21:44:59

Italian antipasti, nice bread. Or a few tapas bits, nice bread. Or homemade quiche, nice salad, potato (baked or potato sale or even dauphinois). Or a simple pasta, I'd go for nice sausage, broccoli and tomato, with a fancy garlic bread (flatbread or similar).

Greensleeves Wed 19-Dec-12 21:45:23

my default dish is roasted veggies in tomato/balsamic sauce with cheese and crispy breadcrumbs on top, with salad and bit to pick at like houmous/olives/bread

and ice cream or cake for pud

VBisme Wed 19-Dec-12 21:47:25

What about linguine puttanesca and some garlic bread?

Battlefront Wed 19-Dec-12 22:12:23

Thank you, some lovely ideas there

sashh Thu 20-Dec-12 09:18:48

Raclette, of course you have to have a raclette but lidl are selling them cheap at the moment.

Eceryone cooks what they want then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now