Talk

Advanced search

Cake tin advice please!

(4 Posts)
BlueEyeshadow Tue 11-Dec-12 13:54:20

I want to make a non-baked cheesecake and the recipe says to use a springform tin, which I haven't got. Will anything dire happen, like it all leaking out at the bottom, if I use a loose based sandwich tin instead? Do I need to rush out and buy a different tin?

Thanks!

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 11-Dec-12 13:57:09

It could leak, but it's unlikely (if you're doing non-baked) that the mixture would be runny enough to leak out. More likely is it'll be a bit trickier to get the cake out the tin.

To be safe, I'd line it. I'd def NOT buy a new tin!

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 12-Dec-12 09:49:10

There is nothing that ever NEEDS a Springform pan; there is always an alternative. A loose based sandwich pan will be perfectly OK, but you will need to be able to take a spatula around the pan to help release the cheesecake if you are not baking it (a baked one will shrink back a little). Alternatively run a strip of baking parchment around the edge. If you are doing a biscuit base, nothing will leak out of the sandwich pan.

Incidentally, don't go thinking that a Springform never leaks, because they often do.

BlueEyeshadow Wed 12-Dec-12 17:38:31

Thanks both!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now