Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fizzy water

(14 Posts)
Tiredprobably Sun 25-Nov-12 10:06:34

Is it bad for you? Should I worry about my 22 month old drinking it or is it better than juice and squash? He still breast feeds loads so I have been trying to find something else as all he wants is milk all the time he's not interested in water alone.

DefiniteMaybe Sun 25-Nov-12 10:08:10

I don't know if it is bad for you but my ds drinks it as a treat so watching with interest.

stargirl1701 Sun 25-Nov-12 10:10:01

Yup. Not a healthy choice.

Tiredprobably Sun 25-Nov-12 10:14:45

So far he's only had it when we have been out eating but it's the only thing I've ever seen him drink in any decent amount so I was pleased and wondering to get some for home, hmm

JammySplodger Sun 25-Nov-12 10:17:42

I thought it was just carbonated water, there aren't additives in it are there?

AKissIsNotAContract Sun 25-Nov-12 10:18:53

As far as the teeth are concerned it is a better choice than juice or squash, which both cause tooth decay.

ByTheWay1 Sun 25-Nov-12 10:43:21

Basically depends on which water - if it is a natural mineral water which is carbonated it is fine - the higher levels of bicarbonate (the usual "mineral" bit) offsets the very weak carbonic acid produced and can make it alkaline and not harmful to teeth, also helpful for indigestion etc...

However if it is tap water carbonated, the overall effect will be a weak acid and harmful to teeth. (carbonic acid is what makes your tongue tingle when you drink a fizzy drink - the more tingle, the more acid..)

JessePinkman Sun 25-Nov-12 10:48:56

I thought it leeched calcium from your bones. I would be happily corrected.

forevergreek Sun 25-Nov-12 11:15:51

It's fine, is just carbonated water, plain no sugar blah blah. Most European countries only drink sparkling and never plain water. When I lived abroad I had to make a huge effort when out to get plain if I wanted and everyone would have a late supply of sparkling at home ( save bottles, take back empty and get money back!)

forevergreek Sun 25-Nov-12 11:16:46

Oh and I worked for a dentist in Germany who drank it and only gave it to her children so I very much doubt it's bad for yor teeth

WholeLottaRosie Sun 25-Nov-12 19:16:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ByTheWay1 Sun 25-Nov-12 19:30:49

NOOOOO - it is a myth - Coke leeches Calcium because of the phosphoric acid - not ANY fizzy - just Cola based drinks....

Flossbert Sun 25-Nov-12 19:36:55

It used to be the only thing I would drink apart from wine and DD (2.9) drank nothing but sparkling mineral water and milk for well over a year. All was good.

However, when I became pregnant again, i went right off the stuff and because I wasn't drinking it, neither was she. And we were both very constipated for about 10 days. Never really realised that it was keeping things moving until it wasn't!

Just my little anecdote! smile

JessePinkman Tue 27-Nov-12 06:26:37

Good about that, thanks. I find it quite refreshing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now