Talk

Advanced search

What else can I do with fish pie mix?

(8 Posts)
DeathMetalMum Tue 13-Nov-12 13:13:28

I have fish pie mix that has been in the freezer for a little while. My fish pie after several attempts seems to turn out disastrous and dd isnt a fan of mash really. What else can I make with it? Its just basic cod salmon and smoked haddock no prawns or anything. Tia

Vajazzler Tue 13-Nov-12 13:16:27

Could you cook it as you would for fish pie but then put it into filo pastry to make a parcel?

stressedHEmum Tue 13-Nov-12 14:11:22

You could make fish chowder or make a pasta and fish bake in cheese sauce.

dreamingofsun Tue 13-Nov-12 14:37:19

put in a white sauce - same as fish pie and then top with a mix of fresh breadcrumbs and grated cheese instead of the mash (sort of hairy bikers diet book i think). or rissotto. or with pasta in cheese, white or tomatoe sauce. or fish cakes

PurplePidjin Tue 13-Nov-12 14:43:12

In cheese sauce on pasta.

Poached and stirred into risotto or kedgeree.

Under pastry instead of mash.

Gumbo/bouillabaisse/random stew type thing.

Breaded like chicken nuggets.

thingamajig Tue 13-Nov-12 14:44:22

Fishcakes - cook in milk, then flake and mix with mashed potato. Add frozen peas, form into patties and roll in flour/breadcrumbs.. Once they are fried and crunchy on the outside the mash is much nicer.
Or with white sauce and pasta. I like the sound of pasta bake too.

Cluffyfunt Tue 13-Nov-12 14:45:16

Fry up with garlic, butter and chilli and serve with linguini?

Taffeta Tue 13-Nov-12 14:47:00

I'd do Jamie's fish pie sauce - fry onion carrot and celery until soft, then add tiny bit of mustard, pot of double cream, lashings of grated cheddar or parmesan, dill, lemon juice and season.

Then whack fish in bottom of dish, add chopped cooked spinach/hard boiled eggs if you like, sauce on top and then top with puff pastry lid. Eggwash for colour.

Cook on high temp for 30 mins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now