Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can I eat this if I'm pregnant??

(9 Posts)
hjtunny Fri 09-Nov-12 20:57:11

Hello, I'm confused!

I know that pate is banned when pregnant because of the vitamin A but this is from pate made with liver.

I love mackerel pate and have looked at the ingredients which are:
mackerel
single cream
unsalted buter
cream cheese
lemon juice
black pepper
cayenne pepper

all of which are things that ARE allowed, so the question is can I eat it? It's pate by name but not by nature as it doesn't contain high levels of vitamin A from liver

thanks!!

ISeeThreadPeople Fri 09-Nov-12 20:59:56

Eat it. On dry toast. I LOVE the stuff. It's cheap and easy to make your own too if you ever fancy it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 09-Nov-12 21:00:01

I'd say that was fine,

hjtunny Fri 09-Nov-12 21:29:40

thanks! I love it on rice crackers and really crave savoury stuff so it's good that I can eat it!

Herrena Fri 09-Nov-12 21:31:01

Sounds fine to me. Eat it and rejoice grin

magpieC Fri 09-Nov-12 21:38:22

The NHS says avoid all pates including vegetable as there's a listeria risk...

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 10-Nov-12 09:27:52

Well in that case I think you need to balance it up OP. Last time I was pg I "needed" sushi. The NHS line is there is a listeria risk and to avoid but when I researched it there wasn't one recorded case worldwide of listeria due to sushi so I ate it.

If you really want it I would recommend doing your own research smile.

midori1999 Sun 11-Nov-12 00:24:19

The NHS do not say to avoid Sushi when pregnant. In fact, they say it is fine as due to UK food safety laws the fish must have been previously frozen to a temperature which would kill any dodgy bacteria in it.

I would personally avoid pate of any sort (as advised by the NHS) due to the listeria risk. The risk of contracting listeria is very, very small, but the consequences of it are extremely severe and could mean you losing your baby.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 11-Nov-12 19:25:10

Sorry it was worded badly. I thought at the time that was the NHS line, but then they changed a few things in quick succession last time I was PG and I kind of lost track. Also, it was 6 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now