Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you reheat takeaways, is it safe to?

(11 Posts)
sandyballs Wed 07-Nov-12 15:42:38

About once or twice a month we get a takeaway chinese or indian delivered with some friends of ours. Recently we have massively over ordered and wasted a lot which I hate.

Obvious answer is order less, but if we do over order is it possible to stick it in the fridge and reheat the following day? I'm sure the veggie stuff would be fine, but what about the chicken or fish? And how about rice, I'm sure I read somewhere that reheated rice was a huge food poisoning issue.

juneybean Wed 07-Nov-12 15:43:48

Oh yes, it tastes better the next day grin

expatinscotland Wed 07-Nov-12 15:46:37

Yes. I do it all the time.

NettoSpookerstar Wed 07-Nov-12 15:48:55

I just eat it cold and congealed <gross pig> grin

travellingtime Wed 07-Nov-12 15:51:43

always keep and reheat. tastes better next day.
frequent take away sharers of ours NEVER want to keep in and insist on throwing it all away if not eaten. the shame, the waste..

lottiegarbanzo Wed 07-Nov-12 15:52:13

Ok, here I go with my public information broadcast on reheated rice. The issue with rice is how quickly it is cooled down, not about reheating. If cooled quickly, then refrigerated, it should be fine. If slowly, or kept out at room temperature, bacteria commonly found in rice, Bacillus cereus, become active and exude poison. This poison cannot be killed, or denatured, by reheating, so anyone who says 'oh, I always blast it when reheating so it will be fine' has totally missed the point.

Takeaways sometimes poison people with rice by keeping it out for a long time. That would already have happened, or not, before you get it though. If it didn't make you ill the first time, it should be fine. I'd eat it, cold or reheated.

I don't eat meat so no comment on that but I'd certainly keep and reheat veggie dishes.

Naoko Wed 07-Nov-12 15:54:23

The food is fine as long as you reheat till piping hot, but don't risk the rice. Rice can only be reheated if it was cooled quickly and placed in the fridge within an hour, and you don't know how long it was hanging around in the takeaway before they gave it to you (or indeed if they've already reheated it once).

lottiegarbanzo Wed 07-Nov-12 15:54:34

Our local Indian veggie meal for two always provides us with at least a lunch, if not a second dinner. I'm always nearly stuffed after the starter!

FerrisBueller1972 Wed 07-Nov-12 15:55:08

Always better the next day or the day after that. I have an Indian takeaway most Friday or Saturday's and always have the left overs for lunch at work on the Monday. I am still alive (checks self) yep, still standing. I do have the constitution of an ox when it comes to food though!!

FerrisBueller1972 Wed 07-Nov-12 15:56:04

And I mostly never stick the rice in the fridge till bedtime..!

Yes - do it (on the rare occasion theres anything left!)
But you are right to have concerns - the food must be absolutely piping hot - particularly the meat and rice dishes. Just warm isn't enough - let it get really hot, then cook it a bit more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now