Talk

Advanced search

Sunday Roast left overs. How can I use it again?

(13 Posts)
AutumnGlory Mon 05-Nov-12 21:29:29

I have some left over roas beef and pork, what do I do with it? I need child friendly ideas or recipes please I'm fed up of throwing food in the bin. Also I have a delicious left over of parsnip gratin made with paresan cheese and cream, can I put it in the freezer and serve at the end of the month?

qazxc Mon 05-Nov-12 21:34:28

make into a bolognese sauce? or stewy thing with maybe a pastry lid?

AutumnGlory Mon 05-Nov-12 21:38:44

Would you mix the two meets together? Bolognese sounds good

AutumnGlory Tue 06-Nov-12 10:42:40

Any more ideas?

sunnyshine Tue 06-Nov-12 10:45:09

We always make Gordon Ramsey chilli with any left over Sunday meets! It's lovely!

feetheart Tue 06-Nov-12 10:51:30

We usually make HUGE Yorkshire puddings and serve all the leftover meat, veg, gravy etc inside it. DC like this just as much, if not more than, the actual roast and its a relatively quick mid-week meal. It would work with yummy sounding parsnip gratin too.
If not I would certainly freeze gratin and if you can't think of what to do with the meat at the moment freeze that too - great for sandwiches, stir-fry, more Yorkshire puds, etc.

Pootles2010 Tue 06-Nov-12 10:55:23

How much do you have of each? If a lot, i'd make the beef into cottage pie/bolognese, and the pork into a stir fry. If not a lot, chuck it all into a bolognese.

Allalonenow Tue 06-Nov-12 10:58:53

Cottage pie or Cornish pasties with the beef, children might like the pork chopped up and thoroughly heated in with a tin of baked beans, stir in some left over gravy if you have any, make sure it all bubbles well during cooking, serve with bread to dunk. Or a stir fry with the pork cut into strips, or beef or pork would work in an oriental style broth with noodles.
Yes you can freeze your parsnip bake, cover it with foil when reheating so it does not dry out, and bake till thoroughly hot.

Twitterqueen Tue 06-Nov-12 11:01:01

I do pies, which children love and are lunchbox friendly too. and I throw in left-over veggies - you can mince it all up if you need to.

I don't understand the concept of left-over gratin though.... there's never, ever, any left in our house! smile
But yes, freeze it.

Yorkshire puds - yes, I do that too. Totally delicious and cheap.

Bearandcub Tue 06-Nov-12 11:03:34

You could use the meat in Nasi Goreng or Chow Mein.

sheeplikessleep Tue 06-Nov-12 12:08:55

Stir fry
I tend to just reheat with new gravy and do a second 'roast' on Monday blush

BlueEyeshadow Tue 06-Nov-12 22:56:46

If you're stir-frying, marinade sliced roast pork in soy sauce and five spice - it's amazing! I used leftover roast beef in a goulash-type stew with peppers and paprika today.

Slice the beef thinly for sandwiches?

AutumnGlory Thu 08-Nov-12 11:18:52

I cooked a nice chilli con carne

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now