Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone use vermouth instead of white wine?

(9 Posts)
ComradeJing Mon 05-Nov-12 01:18:59

I keep reading about Nigella using vermouth instead of white wine when she doesn't want to open a bottle.

Does anyone else do this?

I'm pg/about to bf and DH could do with drinking less (to do with losing weight, not problem drinking) so anything that means that we don't open a bottle just for a nip of alcohol seems a good idea.

Allalonenow Mon 05-Nov-12 01:43:09

Yes I do, now and again for convenience, just a splash in white sauce works wonders.

VintageRainBoots Mon 05-Nov-12 01:48:53

Yes, we regularly use vermouth. In fact, we prefer it to white wine for cooking.

CleansLate Mon 05-Nov-12 02:05:08

Yes! Use watered down noilly prat (sp), as it keeps much better and removes the temptation to drink the whole bottle ;)

SofiaAmes Mon 05-Nov-12 02:50:20

Yes. I always use dry vermouth instead of wine. No one in our household drinks wine, so I don't keep it in the house. But dry vermouth will last forever. Also, my mother is Italian and she always used dry vermouth for cooking, so I learned from her.

ComradeJing Mon 05-Nov-12 07:33:07

Thank you! I wasn't sure if it was one of those nigella gems or a bonkers idea.

Will buy a bottle and try it. smile

BirdyArms Mon 05-Nov-12 11:36:49

I do and also have a bottle of marsala open to substitute for red wine, another Nigella-ism. Only problem is I've developed a taste for the Marsala, not so much the vermouth, so sometimes pour myself a drop at the same time.

Fifi2406 Mon 05-Nov-12 15:10:42

I always use it, never use white wine! Works just the same

RaspberryLemonPavlova Mon 05-Nov-12 16:01:42

Another vermouth user here too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now