Talk

Advanced search

Dead Easy Pot Roast Chicken with Bacon, Beans and Lentils ... winter is here.

(7 Posts)
CogitoErgoSparklers Sun 04-Nov-12 18:53:33

Having scoured t'internet and failed to find a pot-roast chicken recipe that appealed I invented the following. Disclaimer, someone probably beat me to it - not the most original cook out there -but still....

1 typical oven-ready chicken 3-4lbs
olive oil
3 rashers thick cut smoky bacon, chopped
2 onions, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 trimmed celery heart, chopped
4oz green lentils, dry weight
bunch fresh parsley, chopped
salt and plenty of pepper
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained.
hot water

- Preheat oven to about 160C (fan) 170-180C (convection) Gas 4
- Heat a large, heavy casserole dish on the hob and add a little olive oil
- Rub salt and pepper into the skin of your chicken and fry it in the casserole dish on all sides until it has taken on a little colour all over
- Remove the chicken to a plate and add the bacon and vegetables to the remaining oil. Stir and fry over a low heat until they start to take on a little colour. Remove the pot from the hob
- Add the green lentils, half the parsley and enough hot water to just cover. Season with plenty of pepper.
- Place the browned chicken on top of everything, put on the casserole lid and bake for about 1 hour 30.
- When the time is up, carefully remove the chicken to a warm dish, tipping it up & allowing any juices from the cavity to drain into the broth. Cover with foil and reserve
- Heat the casserole contents on the hob and add the drained cannellini beans. Check the seasoning
- Serve in a wide soup dish... a ladle of the broth with some of the chicken meat sliced or shredded up on top and extra parsley. A few steamed leeks go really well.

Serves 6 easily. Would probably work really well in a slow cooker with less liquid.

QueenOfCats Sun 04-Nov-12 21:20:58

That sounds delicious, will definitely try that this week! I love dark wintry evenings and homemade comfort food smile

QueenOfCats Mon 05-Nov-12 18:30:46

Disaster!

Completely fucked it up!

Chicken looked cooked after 1 hr 45, set chicken aside, tasted broth - yummy - then noticed chicken was bloody on the underside shock

So now chicken is in the bin and I probably have salmonella

FreddieMercurysBolero Mon 05-Nov-12 18:43:11

sounds fab, will be giving it a go at the weekend!

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 06-Nov-12 09:32:44

Oh dear QueenOfCats!!! 1hr 45 should have been plenty of time. How big was your chicken?

QueenOfCats Tue 06-Nov-12 21:23:12

Cogito, im here to tell the tale - no salmonella yet!

the chicken was only small! I think my casserole dish may have been a bit small actually hmm

No reflection on your recepie - it was delicious and I will attempt again with chicken pieces.

FreddieMercurysBolero Wed 07-Nov-12 00:06:29

It would be great with chicken thighs Queen and Cog- I'll try at the weekend and let you knowsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now