Talk

Advanced search

Menu planning for FIL

(18 Posts)
Pastabee Sun 04-Nov-12 14:58:35

My very lovely in laws are coming to stay for a week to look after DD while I'm on a course and DH is abroad.

Obviously I will cook for them each evening but FIL is a nightmare food wise and I'm struggling to plan a week's worth of meals. He doesn't like rice, pasta apart from lasagne, mash and jacket potatoes and anything Indian, Thai, Chinese.

So far I have:

Mon: Home made beef pie and roast potatoes.
Tues: Lasagne, garlic bread, salad.
Wed: Choice left over pie or lasagne lazy
Thurs: Shepherd's pie for mil and I, pork chop, boiled potatoes and veg for FIL.
Fri: pizza and salad.
Sat: ??
Sun: ??

Has anyone got any ideas of traditional receipts I've missed?

I can't take them out for dinner as DD is only 11 months so needs to go to bed. The only takeaway they like is fish and chips so thinking of that for Saturday. desperate

Have some free time this week so hoping to get some cooking done in advance and freeze.

Pastabee Sun 04-Nov-12 14:59:39

Receipts?? Only if I can cook them up in advance and freeze.

littlemissnormal Sun 04-Nov-12 15:00:27

Stew and dumplings, roast dinner, toad in the hole, lamb cobbler?

LowLevelWhinging Sun 04-Nov-12 15:02:11

home made soup? Like a scotch broth or something? (chicken or lamb with veg and maybe some pulses like barley/lentils)

Roast dinner?

erm, gosh it's a toughie!

Pastabee Sun 04-Nov-12 15:02:37

Roast dinner. How could I have missed that?! Thank you thanks

Toad in the hole would work well too. Would you just serve that with gravy and veg? I would eat it like that but not sure if I need a potato option to go with?

MothershipG Sun 04-Nov-12 15:04:24

You need mash with a toad. wink

Pastabee Sun 04-Nov-12 15:07:32

mothershipG you are 100% correct except he doesn't eat mash!!!

littlemissnormal Sun 04-Nov-12 15:09:12

I just serve green veg with it but if not mash would he eat roasties with it, or a potato gratin?
There was also a recipe for brunch on This Morning which I did for dinner recently. Sausage patties wrapped in bacon, baked tomatoes and a bean and sliced potato bake.
My DPs eating habits sound very similar and I find it hard to come up with different meals on these lines!
You could also put a savoury crumble topping on the shepherds pie instead of mash.

DontmindifIdo Sun 04-Nov-12 15:10:32

I wouldn't have potatoes with toad in the hole, it's got 'stodge' in form of the batter. Fine with a selection of veg.

dreamingofsun Sun 04-Nov-12 16:35:08

does he like fish and chips? Roast chicken is something i cook for my IL's who have similar issues - though they won't eat pitza either or lasagne or garlic.

EdgarAllansPo Sun 04-Nov-12 16:53:05

he sounds like a traditional meal lover.

Lancashire hotpot
Liver & onions with boiled potatoes
sausages and boiled potatoes
frittata or omlettes
lamb or beef stew, again with potatoes which have been boiled just right and not mashed
cobbler
roast beef/chicken with stuffing, yorkshires, boiled potatoes (not mashed)
Pie & chips
Pasties

You could try him with quinoa, couscous, cannelloni pasta tubes (as he likes lasagne)

lunches or lighter suppers:
soups
pate & chunky toast
all day breakfast
sandwiches
things (e.g. mashed sardines/cheese/poached egg) on toast
bacon rolls

baked beans or greens with toad in the hole, no mash!

What about things made with mash, like bubble & squeek, fish cakes, cheese & potato rissoles? Or they can be made as leftovers for children when gparents are having something not to DCs' tastes.

EdgarAllansPo Sun 04-Nov-12 16:54:04

lamb chops
steak & chips

EdgarAllansPo Sun 04-Nov-12 16:54:50

ham or chicken & spinach flan/quiche is very nice

Selks Sun 04-Nov-12 16:57:20

Does he like fish? Could do salmon, new potatoes and peas, either plain or with a bit of parsley sauce

Home made quiche and chips?

Chicken casserole?

EdgarAllansPo Sun 04-Nov-12 16:57:56

Does he prefer swede mash or sweet potato mash, maybe?

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 04-Nov-12 16:58:05

Chicken-y something? I'd go casserole, with boiled new pots and a veg.

Selks Sun 04-Nov-12 17:24:04

Chops, peas and dauphine potatoes?

Home made burgers in buns with salad and potato wedges?

Pastabee Sun 04-Nov-12 17:27:43

thanks so many good ideas. Sorted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now