Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about herbs and spices

(7 Posts)
dashoflime Sun 04-Nov-12 11:49:02

I have a £25 M&S voucher which I'm thinking of spending on stocking the herb and spice cupboard.
At the moment I have standard mixed herbs, the basic Indian spices and some stuff for Asian cooking (soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil etc). I want to get a bit more adventurous. What do you suggest I buy?

Xiaoxiong Sun 04-Nov-12 19:19:37

I'd get lots of whole spices rather than ground: whole nutmeg, cloves, cumin, juniper. Sumac is great - google recipes for chicken baked in pita sprinkled with sumac. Not sure m&s has a great selection though, maybe yours is better! If I had an m&s voucher I'd stock up on those stir in tray bake jars - had the sundried tomato one the other day and I couldn't believe it was out of a jar, it was amazing (and I am a made from scratch snob!)

Do M&S have a decent range of herbs and spices then?

If yes - saffron
Doubt they'd have sumac but it's lovely in fattoush (salad with crispy pitta)
Nice oil and vinegar maybe?

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 04-Nov-12 19:29:57

Tbh I would get my herbs and spices from a bog standard supermarket and use my vouchers for something nice which you can either only get or that is particularly nice from m&s. Some nice cakes perhaps. Or party food for Christmas season.

EdgarAllansPo Sun 04-Nov-12 19:30:40

Sweet paprika, bay leaves, garlic, preserved lemons, rose harissa paste. For Mediterranean/middle eastern dishes.

Ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg & cloves. Great for sweet dishes, like cakes, but can also be used in savoury dishes like Moroccan curries.

To go with your Thai/asian spices: galangal puree in jar (Thai ginger), lemongrass, lime leaves, coconut milk & coconut oil, sweet chili dip, oyster sauce, Japanese teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce.

EdgarAllansPo Sun 04-Nov-12 19:31:57

Do M & S sell Barts herbs & spices? Their sweet paprika and zatar are both good.

dashoflime Mon 05-Nov-12 14:05:09

Thanks for the suggestions everyone smile

Yes, M&S (some branches) does do herbs and spices. The one in Dundee has a whole aisle. When I was having difficulty tracking down Kaffir Lime, I eventually found it there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now