Talk

Advanced search

Recycling food up.....

(15 Posts)
AutumnGlory Thu 01-Nov-12 11:50:31

I am aware this mind sound disgusting but it is just an idea.....my H cooked beef mince with gravy yesterday, he is the only one who eats it and he made a quite big batche. And I KNOW he won't eat it again, so as usual it will go from the fridge to the freezer and than eventually to the bin. I am wondering if I can wash it out and make a lovely brand new tomatoe sauce with it and than make a sheperds pie??

Vix07 Thu 01-Nov-12 11:53:34

That sounds good tho I'd probably just drain the gravy rather than rinse the mince! My DP made a lovely curry the other night from left over beef casserole, yum!

AutumnGlory Thu 01-Nov-12 11:55:36

Humus glad to know I'm not going crazy.....I thought about just draining the gravy but I wasn't sure if the gravy taste would affect the sauce for sheperds pie....

QuenHelle Thu 01-Nov-12 11:57:07

As long as you're not fishing stuff out of the bin it makes sense to reuse leftovers in any form IMO.

Years ago friends of mine introduced me to the wonders of fried leftover spaghetti bolognese. Sounds revolting but is actually delicious.

MrsHoarder Thu 01-Nov-12 12:03:42

Well I always add beef stock cubes to shepherds pie, so a little bit of gravy is unlikely to hurt.

CotedePablo Thu 01-Nov-12 12:31:19

Am I the only one whose recipe for beef mince and the meat in shepherd's pie is the same? Didn't know shepherd's pie used tomato sauce... confused

MrsHoarder Thu 01-Nov-12 12:50:51

Cote mine is similar, but beef mince would be too "wet" and the mash would sink. Anyway, unless changing the meat shouldn;t it be cottage pie? I thought shepherds pie was made of lamb.

CotedePablo Thu 01-Nov-12 12:56:10

Oh yes shepherd's pie should really be lamb, cottage pie is beef. MrsHoarder I tend to make mince fairly dry-ish anyway, with not a huge amount of gravy...perhaps would take out some of the gravy to turn into shepherds/cottage pie.

AutumnGlory Thu 01-Nov-12 16:00:40

Oh thanks for the English culinary lesson LOL, I'm not used to cook British dishes and maybe that is why I don't like mince with gravy - but love my gravy on my roast- anyway, I've never made cottage/sheperds pie before so I assumed the sauce would be the same for bolognese blush.....you can tell I'm in need of a good recipe for my cottage pie , if you could share yours would be great.

PolterGoose Thu 01-Nov-12 16:09:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AutumnGlory Thu 01-Nov-12 16:14:04

See......I thought the mash would go at the bottom and mince on the top....what do you mean by peppered mash? Can I do normal mash whitout pepper for the kids?

PolterGoose Thu 01-Nov-12 16:17:00

MrsHoarder Thu 01-Nov-12 17:11:12

Just be careful not to have too much liquid/too fot mash. Otherwise you end up with mice and potato soup. Delia is a bit fancy here so you could loose the herbs and worchester sauce and still have a pefectly nice cottage pie.

Maybe I'll have that for dinner tomorrow (no DH tonight)

PolterGoose Thu 01-Nov-12 18:21:11

AutumnGlory Thu 01-Nov-12 20:37:12

Mice haha. I will do a simply recipe for a fussy guest. Thinking about using finely grated carrots and peas, good idea?? What is the best potatoes to use for mash?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now