Talk

Advanced search

High calorie but nutritious foods?

(21 Posts)
spilttheteaagain Wed 31-Oct-12 20:26:58

I am breastfeeding 14 month DD and have lost too much weight since she was born. I need to stop losing and put a little bit back on. The trouble is I can't seem to eat enough bulk. I eat 3 big meals a day, sometimes snack a bit, but it is mainly just big helpings at mealtimes, however I get uncomfortably full yet am still losing weight.

So, without resorting to total junk, what foods (snack or meals) have a decent whack of calories? Just not avocado please, can't bear it!!

Cartoonjane Wed 31-Oct-12 20:29:17

Smoked mackerel, any oily fish. Macaroni cheese.

ginmakesitallok Wed 31-Oct-12 20:30:31

nuts

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Wed 31-Oct-12 20:33:04

Cheese and crackers with butter
adding double cream to mashed potato or coffee
Cake!
Add olive oil to pasta dishes, think party buffet food, tasty and high calorie
Quiches
Any nigella recipe

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 31-Oct-12 20:34:50

Dark chocolate, nuts, oatcakes with hummous.

But if you're losting a lot of weight I'd get it checked out - pregnancy can play havoc with your body and worth seeing your GP and getting some blood tests.

zillyzilly Wed 31-Oct-12 20:34:56

Peanut butter, if nuts OK while breastfeeding cf nut allergy?

frenchfancy Wed 31-Oct-12 20:36:01

Pastry is a killer. To make sure you aren't eating junk just make sure the filling is fairly healthy (so tomato tart not gregs sausage rolls smile ) Actually meat pies are good to give you some protien and iron.

Cies Wed 31-Oct-12 20:37:12

Dress your vegetables with olive oil.

Nuts and seeds.

Full fat yogurt, milk, cheese etc.

frenchfancy Wed 31-Oct-12 20:52:13

From another thread:

Also did you know that a little tub of taramasalata from Sainsbury's has ONE THOUSAND calories?

I read it and thought of you .

Hairytoes Wed 31-Oct-12 20:56:24

I second Mrs Campbell, go and see your doctor. Kate Garraway lost loads of weight after giving birth, and it was thyroid related.

MothershipG Wed 31-Oct-12 20:57:47

Avocado

spilttheteaagain Wed 31-Oct-12 21:02:46

Nuts are fine for us zilly.

Lots of good ideas thanks, sadly I do a lot of them already, loads of dairy all full fat, nuts, nutella, whang loads of seeds in my bread, olive oil or garlic butter on veg quite often, an excess of cheese on most meals!

I think my trouble is I adore my veg and pulses, and when cartoonjane suggests macaroni cheese I think "yum, I'll just add some onions, peppers, peas and broccoli to it and will be delicious". Which is not exactly conducive to piling on the pounds is it grin I am the sort of daft bugger who thinks a veg & chickpea curry is a treat, and who will pick the sausages out of sausage casserole because I prefer the root veg and beans.

Double cream on my porridge on the other hand is a damn fine idea, and DD likes that too.

I think you are right MrsCampbell and it would be worth seeing the GP to check all is as it should be. What is weird is that I have an underactive thyroid which should mean I struggle to stay slim not the opposite! I expect its just that broken sleep and breastfeeding demand a lot of calories, but I will get checked.

spilttheteaagain Wed 31-Oct-12 21:05:22

frenchfancy grin Shame it's rank really!

SrirachaGhoul Wed 31-Oct-12 21:09:38

The veg and pulses are so good for you, as you know, but can be much lower in calories than you think. They are full of fibre and water which fills you up and displaces your appetite for more calorifically dense foods. I went vegan for a year once and became almost emaciated, despite eating massive quantities of food. Sounds like you're doing everything right though, so definitely check with your doc again.

zillyzilly Wed 31-Oct-12 21:12:04

Nutella, then, if nuts are fine. smile

Your dc is getting a fine diet through the breastmilk. smile Can't keep off teh broccoli, eh? I have to make myself eat it!

zipzap Wed 31-Oct-12 21:14:30

Friend who lost lots of weight whilst breastfeeding was told by her gp to eat lots of steak and eat lots of good dark chocolates grin

envy - would love to be told to eat that on doctor's orders! Or indeed to lose weight when breastfeeding instead of gaining 4 stone despite eating reasonable portions and pretty healthily other than the odd extra square or three of chocolate!

ffnorm Wed 31-Oct-12 21:14:46

spiltthetea are you on thyroxine and if so,did they up the dose during pregnancy? Could be that you are over medicated. Either way,definitely go see your Dr and get them to do thyroid function tests.

spilttheteaagain Wed 31-Oct-12 21:48:58

I am indeed on thyroxine, but it was checked a couple of months ago. I blardy hope I am not over medicated as I am absoluttely knackered and need that thyroxine to get me going!

sriracha I think that's a lot of it - being filled up by high fibre and water stuff.

Might nip downstairs for a bit of cereal now, this thread has given me the munchies.

sashh Thu 01-Nov-12 01:43:06

Peanut butter and that tinned milk you boil to make banofee pie.

Peanut butter is used to treat malnurished children so should work.

Oh and can I say what a breath or fresh air it is that a woman is not saying "Oh I'm so thin, it's wonderful".

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 01-Nov-12 06:01:38

Danni Minogue had underactive thyroid but lost lots of weight post-birth so definitely worth getting checked.

blush at ridiculous celeb knowledge

nellyjelly Thu 01-Nov-12 06:11:32

I lost tons while BFing too. It wasn't thyroid but did have it checked out. Took ages to get it back on. I just ate as much as I could. Ate healthy as much as poss but also had choc, cakes etc when I fancied them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now