Talk

Advanced search

Using out-of-date yeast for my pizza dough

(8 Posts)
HeavenlyWineandRoses Wed 31-Oct-12 15:44:06

It's been a while since I've baked any bread - at least six years judging by the 2006 best before date on my dried yeast blush.

I have already measured out all the ingredients for the dough and prepared the toppings so would really like to use the yeast. Am I risking my family's health or just the quality of the pizza base?

Don't do it

Don't think it'll be harmful but your dough will mot rise! Get more

MousyMouse Wed 31-Oct-12 15:45:50

is it from a sachet? if yes I would use it. it might need longer to rise, though.
dried yeast is pretty resilient.

naturalbaby Wed 31-Oct-12 15:48:06

I used very out of date yeast for pizza recently - I did check for bubbles when I mixed it into the liquid before carrying on with the recipe.

HeavenlyWineandRoses Wed 31-Oct-12 16:17:15

It's a tub of yeast and not sachets so probably the least resilient type but I can't get out to the shops before teatime (new baby + toddler = housebound) so I'm going to bake one pizza base and see what it tastes like and, if it works it's pizza for tea. If not, it's beans on toast...again smile.

bimblebee Wed 31-Oct-12 17:09:48

I've use out of date yeast before - it doesn't kill you, it just takes a bit longer to rise.

cakesaregood Fri 02-Nov-12 22:57:25

Too late now, have you tried a scone base version? Bit of bicarb/SR flour.

Cooks really quickly, and you don't need to knead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now