Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which shop bought curry sauce tastes the most authentic?

(17 Posts)
nappyaddict Wed 31-Oct-12 10:09:44

I have tried:

Lloyd grossman
Pataks (sauce and paste)
Aldi specially selected (the one with the powder in the top)
Colmans season and shake in the bag
Any others?

CogitoEerilySpooky Wed 31-Oct-12 12:54:09

Pataks. I was once told that Pataks sauces, catering versions, are the sauce of choice in your average indian restaurant. So it may not be authentic in the strictest sense of the word but you'll get the flavours you know and love...

willyoulistentome Wed 31-Oct-12 12:56:28

My cousin and her Mum once did a home experiment/taste test on the various Kormas and they say they like the Homepride version best. Not sure whether it is the most 'authentic' though.

I always buy Pataks. I love them.

jennycrofter Wed 31-Oct-12 12:58:02

We really like the Anjum Anand ones, they come in sachets, with separate spices. To be honest I've no idea how authentic they are, but they taste lovely, and since we can only get then when we have a big trip to Waitrose, they feel really treaty, even though they aren't that expensive.

Pataks as a second though. smile. Yum either way.

jennycrofter Wed 31-Oct-12 13:01:30

Ah, they go by the name of Spice Tailor. Anjum curry. This is the DCs favourite.

WillSingForCake Wed 31-Oct-12 15:31:35

I love the Seeds of Change ones.

Xiaoxiong Wed 31-Oct-12 16:15:17

DH used an M&S jarred madras sauce the other night which was excellent.

HappyGirlNow Wed 31-Oct-12 21:50:27

Pataks Paste is the best..

ChippyMinton Wed 31-Oct-12 21:56:19

A work colleague, who is of Indian origin and a keen cook, uses Pataks when she doesn't cook from scratch, which is a good recommendation, I reckon.

marriednotdead Wed 31-Oct-12 22:08:43

Relatives that were raised in India have been using Pataks since I was a teen back in the early 80's. It used to be a train journey to our nearest stockists back then!

nappyaddict Thu 01-Nov-12 09:43:17

Chippy and MND (love the name btw!)

Do they use the sauces or pastes?

slartybartfast Thu 01-Nov-12 09:44:26

i like pataks best.

marriednotdead Thu 01-Nov-12 09:46:18

Paste. There were only a few in the range back then!

nappyaddict Thu 01-Nov-12 10:04:58

I think the Spice Tailor range was only launched in 2011. I've not seen it in asda, tesco, sainsburys or morrisons. How much is it in waitrose normally?

JRsandCoffee Thu 01-Nov-12 12:10:31

I've been impressed with the Geeta's ones they sell in Waitrose, Pataks are OK too but we now go for the Geeta's ones.
www.geetasfoods.com/onlineshop.htm

I picked up some of these on my travels which I actually really like, a bit more faff than a sauce (spice sachets which you add other ingredients such as yoghut etc to) but really liked the results, quite spicy though! Not sure where mainstream sells them though.
www.starlys.co.uk/

Finally, my old favourites which sadly are no longer sold in Waitrose, if anyone sees them anywhere else I'd love to know..... The Curry Sauce company......
www.currysauce.com/
Expensive but utterly delicious and the Thai Green is particularly fabulous.......flung together with frozen king prawns it makes a brilliant standby for when people turn up and then lurk about so long you feel you need to feed them dinner..........or you invite people over midweek conveniently forgetting that you actually have a life that doesn't involve cooking for a dinner party for your husband's colleagues on a Wednesday night........

ChippyMinton Thu 01-Nov-12 16:49:19

paste, i think

AtticusFlinched Sat 03-Nov-12 09:27:53

Pataks are great. Not too long back they had 2.5 kilo (!) jars of their vindaloo curry paste on Approved Foods for £5.99! DW had to intervene to stop me eating curry solidly for the next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now