Talk

Advanced search

Veggie Ds showing intolerance to tomatoes. Recipe ideas please!

(7 Posts)
TheMysteryCat Tue 30-Oct-12 20:02:09

Hi,

My Ds (20 mths) has recently started showing signs of a tomato allergy. I know he's intolerant to Aubergine and they are both nightshade family, so peppers probably out as well. Seems fine with potato though.

Any ideas for recipes?

We already have: lentil bakes, veggie soups and casseroles and I make a good cheese sauce!

I'm quite a confident cook, so would be great to find some good tomato free base sauces for pasta, or just some inspiring recipes!

Tia

Beanbagz Tue 30-Oct-12 21:04:42

How about risotto? My DCs love a mushroom and we also had a mixed veg one recently that had carrots, peas, leek, parsnip & onion in. I think the recipe was off Tesco's website. It's really easy for little ones to eat too smile

I saw Nigella on TV the other day and she did a cougette pasta that was quite simple though you might have to skip the chilli flakes for your DS! I think Jamie has a brocolli one and a mushroom one that are both quite easy (in his 15 mins book). Or how about homemade pesto?

Drladybird Wed 31-Oct-12 09:25:37

I second risotto. My D (19 months) loves them. Other tomato free recipes that she also loves:

Mild curries-Many do tend to include tomatoes but some don't. What about
beetroot and yoghurt curry

Cheese bakes- Cauliflower/ Broccoli cheese. Macaroni cheese. I recently made a cheese, barley and broccoli bake

Good luck- I'm sure there is a world of interesting tomato free recipes! I didn't realise how much I used them in my cooking until your post made me think about it!

ppeatfruit Wed 31-Oct-12 10:23:31

I used to have bad eczema and bought a book about Blood type it says my type which is A are intolerant to tomatoes (all deadly nightshade veg.) and oranges so I stopped eating them and I immediately cleared of all eczema stomach complaints even arthriticky twinges. It's poss, yr. DS is type A.

So i live well not eating all the above. I make curries from scratch without toms. White Pizzas, risottos as have been mentioned with olive oil garlic base and grated sheep or goats cheese with mushrooms courgettes etc. I eat good quality salmon as well though. So not totally veggie.

fraktion Wed 31-Oct-12 10:30:45

I use carrot purée as a good substitute for tomato sauce, works well with marscapone. Also lentil and prune purée (don't laugh- the prune adds that little bit of acidic sweetness). Variations on spinach and ricotta are good too.

Can you do pesto?

TheMysteryCat Wed 31-Oct-12 21:31:24

The curry l

TheMysteryCat Wed 31-Oct-12 21:33:16

Oops! The curry looks great! And yes to risotto, although the nursery won't re- heat rice, so will use for home. Carrot purée would be interesting to experiment with too.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now