Talk

Advanced search

Going veggie for a month

(19 Posts)
JammySplodger Sun 28-Oct-12 19:18:32

We have a very fussy veggie DS1 (6yrs old). He's agreed that if DH and I go vegetarian for a month, he'll try the things we eat, and will help with cooking too. We start a week on Monday, after a big party at the weekend but in time for chicken back at the table for Christmas (unless we're completely converted within that month).

Do any of you have any tips on keeping vegetarian dishes full of flavour?

Any favourite recipes?

Any favourite frozen/ready-made veggie sausages, burgers, etc?

Any helpful tips?

Drladybird Sun 28-Oct-12 20:36:52

Hello,I've been veggie for 22 years and an advocate of inspiring vegetarian cooking and so think you are in for a real treat over the next month! I've started a blog with my favourite recipes for me, my DH and DS. You might find some useful recipes and info there. Otherwise, I know a lot of people find the Hugh FW Veg book quite useful and inspiring (I also like Delia Smith's vegetarian book). Favourite ready made burgers-we always have tesco mexican bean burgers on our bbq in the summer and they are quite tasty! Helpful tips: find a good health food shop and use the next month as an opportunity to try new things and experiment. Good luck. I hope you enjoy it!

MarianForrester Sun 28-Oct-12 20:41:15

Ds loves the tesco frozen veggie burgers- nice on pitta with salsa/mayo/salad.

Dd loves the Linda McCartney pies.

Loads of yummy veg food. They both also like the super easy veg chilli:

Two tins mixed beans
One big jar bought or home made tomato pasta sauce
Chilli to taste
Fresh Coriander

Mix in pan and heat. Serve with tortillas, avocado, etc

ZombieSplodger Sun 28-Oct-12 20:58:51

Thanks. We've just got the Hugh FW book, came through in the post yesterday so we'll see if we can pick out a few from there. I think if possible we'll stick with mostly seasonal veg so that might rule out a few recipes, but might have to make an exception for advocados (I've not had any for ages so thank you for reminding me Marian). I've also had the Linda McCartney sausages mentioned to me, so will investigate the pies too!

And I've just had a look at your blog Drladybird - I know DH and I would definitely like alot of those recipes, and DS would love making those muffins! I pass a little independant health food shop on the bus into town so will stop off sometime and see what looks interesting too.

ZombieSplodger Sun 28-Oct-12 21:00:20

Sorry, just realised I'm still switched to halloween mode smile

Some of our current family favourites (I'm veggie and everybody else eats meat but we usually all eat veggie at home) include:

veggie chilli

veggie paella

pasta with chillis and peppers, sort of an Arrabiatta

shepherd's pie made with Quorn (the only way I can cope with quorn mince)
lentil soup

roasted vege with yorkies and veggie sausages and savoy

cheese and potato pie and spiced peas

a tart made with bought puff pastry and asparagus/marscapone/pesto

a pie made with bought puff pastry stuffed with new potatoes, savoy and feta

pasta pesto with asparagus, rocket and feta

sausage casserole and hassleback potatoes (except Sainsbo's seem to have stopped doing their brilliant veggie hotdog sausages - grr)

dahl and pilau rice (rice with spices and frozen peas = pealau!)

chickpea curry

Jamie Oliver vege curry

baked risotto

tortilla wraps stuffed with squash, chickpeas and spinach then covered with cheese and baked until crispy

qaesadillas

Can post recipes if there's anything here you fancy.

sharond101 Mon 29-Oct-12 22:40:28

Remus could you post or link to the tortilla wrap with squash, chickpeas and spinaxh please it sounds super.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Mon 29-Oct-12 22:45:55

It's a great idea smile

I'm veggie.

What sort of things do you normally eat? What sort of cooking do you like doing? - then maybe we can suggest similar things.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Mon 29-Oct-12 22:48:49

Remus - have you got a spare room?

ZombieSplodger Tue 30-Oct-12 15:27:32

Ooh, I'd happily have at in at all those dishes you've mentioned Remus! How do you do the asparagus tart? And the recipe for veggie paella would be great, I love paella so it would be good to know how to replace the chorizo and chicken. We're both reasonable cooks and like most things, esp strong flavours, curries, mediterranean, stir-fries, plus good hearty winter pies. I've got the hang of bread too, finally, so we might try some more soups too.

ZombieSplodger Tue 30-Oct-12 15:34:20

And there was a really nice mushroom risotto, with wholemeal barley I think, on Nigella last night that we'll have a go at (she normally really winds me up but was quite good last night, might see if the library has anything of hers).

bimblebee Tue 30-Oct-12 17:58:35

Our family go vegetarian for a month every January and it's a really nice change to experiment with food (and lose a few Christmas pounds).
The Quorn chicken pieces are nice, we find, in curries etc, likewise the mince, but none of us liked the 'bacon pieces'.
Easy veggie dishes are roasted vegetable pasta: big tray of roasted veg including garlic, shallots, peppers, carrots, beetroot, courgettes, tomatoes, stir into a packet of cooked pasta with some tomato puree, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, serve with grated cheese/parmesan and fresh basil. Delicious.

Chipping - no spare room but dd1 off to uni next year if you don't mind waiting!

Tart -

use a sheet of ready made puff pastry. Put it onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper and score around the border but don't cut all the way through.

Prod the inside section all over with a fork and bake until it's starting to turn golden.

Meanwhile mix marscapone, grated parmesan (or veggie version) and some pesto.

Dollop this all over the middle section of the pastry.

Top with thin spears of asparagus or normal ones sliced lengthways then sprinkle over more parmesan.

Cook until golden and oozey.

Paella - not at all authentic but nice!

Fry a finely chopped onion, courgette, red pepper and a couple of really finely diced carrots plus crushed garlic.

Add a teaspoon turmeric, teaspoon paprika, good squeeze of lemon juice, half a glass wine and pinch of saffron which has been soaked in warm water with sugar cube (add the sugary water too)
Add packet of paella rice and vegetable stock to cover and cook in oven until rice is just softening (might need more water)

Then on top of the almost cooked rice pile cherry tomatoes, asparagus, green beans and artichokes if liked and bake again until all is tender.

Sprinkle over lots of parsley and serve with lemon wedges.

Tortillas -

either roast some chopped butternut squash or buy a pack of ready chopped from Waitrose and zap it in the microwave for a few mins until tender.

Meanwhile cut an onion into fine half moons and fry with some garlic.

Add a chopped red chilli and lots of chopped coriander plus the squash and mash it a bit (not too much).

Add a tin of chickpeas and salt and pepper plus a load of chopped baby spinach.

Use the above to stuff your tortillas and roll up (it fills 8).

Stick them all in a roasting tin like a row of sleeping babies(!!!!!) and cover with grated cheese. Bake until golden.

ZombieSplodger Tue 30-Oct-12 20:37:36

Thanks Remus, will definitely be giving them a go!

Ready-made pastry is definitely my friend, will see if I can do some nice pasties too, the cheese, tomato & basil one is always one of mine & DS2's favourites from the Proper Pasty shop in town.

And thanks too bimblebee, that sounds like nice pasta, might even be one DS would happily go for.

We've been setting some ground rules this evening and have decided vege bacon is out but tofu is allowed, but only in Chinese / Thai cooking. We'll give quorn mince a go but I'm not convinced. And we've yet to decide how strict we'll be with the Worcestershire Sauce, given that in our opinions it's far nicer than Hendersons Relish (though we don't shout that out loud given we now live in it's home town).

And we've just discovered in the pages of a seldom used cook book that such things as brown lentils exist! Never knew that before.

JammySplodger Tue 13-Nov-12 12:52:43

Well the month is going well so far. We've had:

Day 1, Tesco's mushroom burgers with crispy aubergine and goats cheese, with paprika potato wedges,
Day 2, Cauliflower, aubergine & green bean korma,
Day 3, Chick pea & squash stew (which has converted DH to liking squash!)
Day 4, Morrisons garlic & something kievs with chips and interesting mushrooms,
Day 5, Linda McCartny sausages (which DS loves, hooray) in rolls with chips and a bit of vege chilli at a party later on.
Day 6, Nut roast, roast potatoes, squash & parsnips, and braised red cabbage & chestnuts.
Day 7, Pizzas with veg & yummy cheeses

Tonight, bubble & squeak from leftovers.

The weekend should be interesting as we have the ILs up. DH wants to do something like a lasange or bolognese and just not telling them till they leave that there was no meat in the house for the whole duration of their visit.

multitaskmama Tue 13-Nov-12 17:43:09

Check out some vegetarian recipes here:

These are really quick and simple and include basic recipes such as pasta shell bake, noodles as well as simple daals, chickpea and potato dishes.

Indian Veggie Recipes

JammySplodger Tue 13-Nov-12 20:09:33

Thanks multitaskmama, they look really yummy and the sort of thing we'd happily try out.

rollmeover Wed 14-Nov-12 01:58:54

We eat veggie a few nights a week as Im not much of a met eater and its cheaper.
This last month Ive just discovered Jamie Olivers veggie chilli and it is really delicious. My slow cooker has just packed in and I reckon that it would be even nicer done in that. Freezes dead well too.

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/vegetarian-chilli-1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now