Talk

Advanced search

Farmfoods frozen meat - any good?

(12 Posts)
roundabout1 Thu 25-Oct-12 19:49:38

I have only just started shopping in Farmfoods as its the nearest place to me to buy milk & bread etc. I was looking at the frozen meat today & wondering whether to buy any. I'm a bit fussy about meat, am used to butchers meat & never sure about the supermarket frozen meat that you cook from frozen. Am I being daft, is it ok?

nkf Thu 25-Oct-12 19:51:28

Well, I know what you mean but if you're skint and fancy some meat then what can you do? It won't be good quality and you will hear people saying they'd rather live on turnips than touch it. But well seasoned, it won't hurt. Not tried it because I don't have a Farmfoods near me. Is that the sort of co-operative place?

roundabout1 Thu 25-Oct-12 20:24:30

Thanks, I dont have a problem with cubed beef in stew, as at least you could cook it for ages to be tender. May be I'll try that first before I get any more adventurous!

TeaBrick Thu 25-Oct-12 20:33:23

Don't they do a whole crispy duck for about £2? I wouldn't try that if I were you.

NettoSpookerstar Thu 25-Oct-12 20:40:31

The chicken breasts are fine cooked into a tasty dish, curries etc.
Defrost first though, and use as raw.
The bacon is ok if you're skint, the rest I've tried, but found gristly and not great. I'm not keen on chopped up meat, preferring to buy it whole and cut myself
Luckily my financial position is slightly better these days, still go to Farmfoods for loo roll though, the Nicky brand is the best around!

nbee84 Thu 25-Oct-12 20:42:22

The cubed beef for stew is the worst you can buy - all fat and gristle!

PolterGoose Fri 26-Oct-12 21:26:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nbee84 Sat 27-Oct-12 10:51:52

But there ends up being very little meat to eat and it's very fatty.

roundabout1 Sat 27-Oct-12 19:15:32

Well I tried the cubed beef & it was surprisingly nice, I only had one tiny bit of gristle in the whole lot (I inspected it closely when it was cooked!) A bit more fatty than the butchers but in stew I found it made it nicer, wouldn't of wanted it in anything else though!

arghhelpme Sat 27-Oct-12 19:24:54

The duck is alright actually. Haven't tried the orange sauce one. But have had other cripsy duck with pancakes from sainsburys and it all seems the same. Haven't tried the plain meats as i buy fresh, but im sure they would be ok.

The only other meat i buy from there is the chicken goujons in batter. £3 for a pack of 30. They are whole pieces of chicken not chopped and shaped like birdseye etc.

roundabout1 Sat 27-Oct-12 19:50:35

Someone told me today that they have chicken nuggets from there & they are so much nicer than Asda ones. Might try the goujons then as the kids have Birdseye Chicken Dippers as a treat.

arghhelpme Sat 27-Oct-12 19:57:14

They are shaped more like nuggets but i'm sure it says goujons on the pack, think the brand is l.a diner?

Even i will eat them and i'm not exactly a fan of chicken nuggets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now