Talk

Advanced search

What can I make with 6 egg whites that isn't meringue?

(26 Posts)
bunjies Thu 25-Oct-12 12:42:22

Any ideas?

Would love to know too as I usually throw them in the bin. Can't make that much meringue! I even have a bag of frozen for future meringues!

ZZMum Thu 25-Oct-12 12:55:22

egg white omlettes can be nice - if you fill them up with stuff such as ham cheese and chillis.. I like to whisk egg whites to add to pancake mixtures to make them really light and fluffy - use 1 egg yolk with3 egg whites would be OK..

Macaroons are just egg white as are cocoanut biscuits

civilfawlty Thu 25-Oct-12 12:56:40

Queen's pudding?

wildfig Thu 25-Oct-12 16:05:18

if you've got a sugar thermometer, a mixer, and you don't mind the idea of gelatine, you can make homemade marshmallows, which always go down a treat and can be toasted over bonfires!

Hugh F-W's marshmallow recipe

Bluestocking Thu 25-Oct-12 16:07:15

Souffle omelettes? Delia has a lemon one here.

evilwem Thu 25-Oct-12 16:08:42

The hummingbird bakery lemon and poppyseed cake uses just egg whites, and is delicious.

Allalonenow Thu 25-Oct-12 16:15:49

Ile flottante, use a ready made custard sauce such as Sainsburys TTD custard if you are short of time.

zzzzz Thu 25-Oct-12 16:21:07

Angels Food cake

Marshmallows

Pavlova (pathetically claiming its not mirangues)

Freeze them for not her day

zzzzz Thu 25-Oct-12 16:22:48

Soufflé

Mousse

bunjies Thu 25-Oct-12 20:47:57

OMG home made marshmallows sounds lush & I do have a sugar thermometer. The kids would go mental for them.

I do love a good iles flottante too so may have to make that as well grin. Thanks all.

Mominatrix Thu 25-Oct-12 20:50:01

Macarons! Tricky to make (at least for me), but delicious.

sommewhereelse Thu 25-Oct-12 20:53:27

chocolate mousse

sommewhereelse Thu 25-Oct-12 20:55:04

Bunjies, what did you make that used up all the yolks? In our family the issue is 'what can I do with the yolks after I made that huge chocolate mousse'?

ShowOfBloodyStumps Thu 25-Oct-12 20:57:58

It's really good for nappy rash. But you need a little baby really or a fetishistic adult or the balls to rush up to women with little babies and offer them egg white to smear on their offspring's bottoms.

Folk remedies I have. Cooking skills? Not so much.

bunjies Fri 26-Oct-12 09:31:54

sommewhereelse - we had home made creme brulees last weekend.

showofbloodystumps - err, might give that one a miss this time, youngest baby is now 7 years old grin

Right off to get some gelatine.

Kikithecat Fri 26-Oct-12 09:40:48

You could feed Madonna for approximately one week?

ScienceRocks Fri 26-Oct-12 09:46:24

Almond macaroons - they aren't difficult at all. Basically egg whites, sugar, ground almonds and rose water whizzed in a food processor, then baked for about 15 minutes in a hit oven. Fab smile

Allalonenow Fri 26-Oct-12 23:15:44

Can I just say, thank you Bunjies, for coming back on and replying to the thread. So often the OP never replies to the original post, and it all seems a bit of a waste of time.
It's so nice when there is a bit of feed back from the OP.

wildfig Fri 26-Oct-12 23:49:38

marshmallows really are delicious when they're home made, and much easier than you'd think to make. They're also great little Christmas presents - a whole bag full costs pennies to make.

My own top tip, from sticky experience, is to get a good wide jug, the sort you mix batter in, to pour the gelatine/sugar mixture into the egg whites in a thin, directed stream. When you combine the molten sugar and the gelatine, it can froth up alarmingly - my normal Pyrex measuring jug doesn't contain the gloop as it erupts. I am still chipping bits of hardened sugar off my cabinets...

bunjies Sat 27-Oct-12 17:20:34

You're scaring me now wildfig. I was hoping for this to be a nice, gentle activity to do with the girls. Not sure now!

I know what you mean Allalone - although sometimes I am guilty of not replying as I forget that I have started a thread.

seeker Sat 27-Oct-12 17:22:11

A pretentious omelette?

wildfig Sat 27-Oct-12 19:34:55

It's easy, honest! I'm just passing on my hard-won experience. The sugar has to be at soft-ball stage, so is hot - and when it mixes with the gelatine, it can bubble, so the bigger the jug you mix it in the better. Then you can pour it straight into the mixer, while the beater's going round. I spent a lot of time faffing about pouring the sugar into the gelatine, then pouring it all into a jug, blah, blah, blah...

Is really worth it. You will be the Willy Wonka of your whole street.

bunjies Sun 28-Oct-12 13:20:57

Ok tried these and am slightly underwhelmed. I did use golden caster sugar as forgot to get granulated but the flavour is somewhat bland. So far only ds & dd2 are happy to eat them!

zzzzz Sun 28-Oct-12 13:48:29

Saw someone on telly mix fresh raspberries in hitch looked fabulous.

Melt the whole lot and pour over icecream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now