Talk

Advanced search

roasting pumpkin seeds. Is this how you do it?

(5 Posts)
ZZZenAgain Thu 25-Oct-12 11:13:40

never done this before. Have instruction which say to boil first in salted water for 10 minues , then roast on olive oil 20 minutes or so. Is this how you do it?

emily2908 Thu 25-Oct-12 12:36:56

Try this site - http://england.lovefoodhatewaste.com/content/make-most-your-pumpkin-halloween

They have a recipie for roasting pumpkin seeds - going to try it tonight!

TiAAAAARGHo Thu 25-Oct-12 12:39:06

I wash them off, dry them out on kitchen roll, spritz a baking tray with oil and then spritz the seeds and shake salt over them. Put them in the oven and remove when they are a nice golden colour.

I've also been known to use cayenne pepper instead of salt (delish)

Drladybird Thu 25-Oct-12 13:22:23

I tried recipe the other night which involved coating them in egg white, sugar and chilli powder and them roasting them. They were ok but nothing special. The outer shells were still quite tough so maybe the boiling helps to cook them properly.

ZZZenAgain Thu 25-Oct-12 18:47:18

have you tried it Emily? I had a go before I saw your responses and they worked out ok but I think they were a bit over-roasted. The recipe said 10-20 minutes in a 200 degree oven on the top shelf. I took mine out after 10 minutes and I think they were a bit overdone. I think I also put too much olive oil on the tray, was no need to be quite so liberal with it. Otherwise they worked out well. I cooked them in the outer shells. Yes, I think the idea behind that must be to soften them up and since you use quite salted water, they are salted that way too. It was 2 cups of water for every half cup of seeds and a tablespoon of salt which sounds a lot but they tasted about right to me.

Wouldn't have thought to try chilli or cayenne with them. That sounds adventurous Drladybird with the egg white, sugar and chilli powder. I am really just at the very basic beginner level with this. I'll have another go at the weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now