Talk

Advanced search

salad dressings that aren't vinaigrette or mayonnaise?

(5 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Wed 24-Oct-12 21:42:13

planning a "megga buffet".... with lots of side/salad dishes... but am a bit concerned that there will be too many similar dressings.

Coronation chicken and coleslaw both use mayonnaise; lots of other salads use vinaigrette. Will leave dressings off completely where I can but am interested in alternative dressing ideas (or variations, where it won't seem so "samey" ) Thanks

lilolilmanchester Wed 24-Oct-12 22:56:17

?

AlohaMama Thu 25-Oct-12 05:55:02

Not sure if this will go as it depends on the types of food in your buffet but you can do coleslaw with asian-style dressing (sorry, American recipe so in cups):

1/4 c sugar
1/2 c warm water
1/4 fish sauce
1/4 c white vinegar
1/2 a lime, juiced
3-4 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp hot sauce (optional)
Mix up water and sugar, stir till disolved. Add fish sauce, vinegar, lime juice and mix. Adjust flavours to taste, then add garlic and hot sauce (if using).

Or make the coleslaw dressing with more yoghurt rather than mayo to make it a bit lighter.

Jamie's happy days has some nice dressings (both on line if you google):
Creme Fraiche and Grilled Lemon
honey and lemon juice

A lot of salads I think are just nice with a good olive oil, salt and pepper.

Good luck with all the cooking!!

lilolilmanchester Thu 25-Oct-12 09:32:09

thank you aloha - I really like the sound of that Asian dressing, and good point that they don't all need dressing. Will check out the others you suggest too. Thanks again.

eslteacher Thu 25-Oct-12 22:06:05

In Gok's Chinese cookbook there is a great Asian dressing based on soy sauce, sesame oil, Chinese wine and chilli. Let me know if you want quantities!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now