Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about sour dough bread, please

(9 Posts)
strictlovingmum Wed 24-Oct-12 20:53:13

It's in the title, I need a quick recipe for sour dough bread, I want to make it now, TIA

upinthehills Wed 24-Oct-12 20:55:53

You need to get hold of a starter first I'm afraid. Once you get it it is a bit like looking after a pet, you need to feed it and nurture it - mine died!

strictlovingmum Wed 24-Oct-12 20:58:01

confused

SomewhereInCanada Wed 24-Oct-12 20:58:27

You can make your own starter. I have the River Cottage bread book. There's a recipe in there.

No instant gratification with sourdough I'm afraid sad

strictlovingmum Wed 24-Oct-12 21:01:56

I have a Delia's recipe which calls for 500g strong flour, 500 ml live yogurt/500 buttermilk pinch of salt,
Did anyone use this recipe or any other that WORKED?

upinthehills Wed 24-Oct-12 21:03:04

Yes, you can make your own, I got mine from my friend who loving nutured one from scratch. It take more than a day to get it going though.

MothershipG Wed 24-Oct-12 21:10:38

If you're making your own sour dough starter it will take days!

But a half way measure is to make a biga or sponge that you can make to night and use tomorrow.

squidgeberry Wed 24-Oct-12 21:11:01

A starter can be made from equal quantities of flour and water, leave it out on the counter for 5-10 days until it starts bUbbling.

I've had good results from this recipe

It takes time to get it organised, but if you get into a system of when to mix, knead, rise, prove and bake, it is quite easy to remember. And it makes incredibly delicious bread

strictlovingmum Wed 24-Oct-12 21:58:48

Thank you ladies, will start on my startergrin tonight, will keep you posted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now