Talk

Advanced search

Buffet lunch for new mums - wld love some ideas

(14 Posts)
sweetieaddict Wed 24-Oct-12 13:27:25

A couple of friends have just had children so I have invited them for lunch this weekend. I want it to be casual and help yourself rather than a sit down lunch as they will have their hands full. This is what I have so far, any other suggestions gratefully welcome....

Bubbles on arrival!
Warm Bread
Cold Ham
Olives
Salad
Carrot sticks with Hummus
Crisps
Warm Sausage Rolls?

That's it so far....

BlueChampagne Wed 24-Oct-12 13:41:55

What a lovely idea. Some stuff you can eat with one hand would also be a good idea, like pizza slices or canapes such as smoked salmon on oatcakes. Do you know if there's anything they've been missing when pg, such as pate?

sweetieaddict Wed 24-Oct-12 13:56:25

Well done BlueChampagne - how could I forget smoked salmon? Could tear strips of it into warm, creamy penne as an optional hot dish...

Might do a cheese board too as they will have missed their soft cheeses during pg.

Hopefully that will be suffice, feel like I could do with another meat offering but not keen on roasting a chicken as I will cook the ham in the morning...

lindsell Wed 24-Oct-12 14:02:16

If they're bfing then have a non alcoholic drink available and also plenty of cake/chocolate grin otherwise agree with things you can easily eat one handed.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 29-Oct-12 21:24:45

Why can't they have the bubbles if they are bfing?

forevergreek Mon 29-Oct-12 21:33:13

most people don't drink and breastfeed (imo), so offering something non alcoholic but nice. maybe sparkling elderflower?

thixotropic Mon 29-Oct-12 21:33:50

Cake.cake.cake.cake

Oh and a little bit of cake, just in case someone fancies something different

PrincessOfChina Mon 29-Oct-12 21:35:11

Most people I know drink and breast feed! Particularly champagne.

Obviously not to excess, but then I don't know anyone with a small baby who likes to get hammered smile

Sounds lovely OP. Can I come? DD is 20 mo and would only temporarily wreck your house!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 29-Oct-12 21:40:47

Bfing and alcohol is fine as long as you don't overdo it.

Hope your lunch went well smile

forevergreek Mon 29-Oct-12 21:52:02

yes i know its fine, obviously not in excess. but new (maybe first time mothers) will often not drink, so maybe an alterative

nappyaddict Wed 31-Oct-12 10:25:20

I did this once. I did baked brie and Camembert to serve with warm bread. You can make your own or get the part baked ones.

Also pâté, olives, balsamic vinegar and oil etc.

Sushi

Cold meats, tiger prawns and smoked salmon with coleslaw, Caesar salad, pickled cabbage, pickled onions, beetroot, chutney, sundried tomatoes.

Cheeseboard with grapes, celery, carrot, cucumber sticks and some blue cheese and garlic mayo dips.

Hot pasta dish with clams, mussels and oysters.

nappyaddict Wed 31-Oct-12 10:32:57

For cold meats you can do ham, salami, chorizo, a nice rare piece of beef etc.

A homemade ice cream, sorbet, souffle, unbaked cheesecake, tiramasu, mousse etc is a good idea for dessert if they've been missing things with raw egg in.

sweetieaddict Sat 03-Nov-12 11:27:08

Hi just checing back into this thread - thanks for all the responses. In the end we had:

Champagne first (one glass each for mums) two for me
Sparkling rose (one mum had a glass) and I had erm....

Both b'feeding and very responsible, but had no problem with the bubbles - it is fine to have a glass of something alcoholic when b'feeding: www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/958.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=135#close

Anyway, back to the food, we all enjoyed:

Selection of hummus dips with warm pitta strips
Tortilla chips
Carrot battons
Warm ham (Oh this was beautiful....)
Cold Smoked Salmon
Warm part baked baguettes with garlic butter which just melted into them (am getting so hungry now)
Cheeseboard and crackers
Mixed Salad
Chorizo/Salami Platter
Stuffed Olives
Warm Sausage Rolls
Beetroot and Coleslaw

Then staggered over to the sofa and had tea and coffee and offered an eclair, which was a job to eat but managed!

Thoroughly enjoyed all the leftovers for dinner that eve and lunch next day..

Btw, the babies slept beautifully and allowed us all to eat in peace - utter bliss...

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 03-Nov-12 17:04:07

Sounds lovely, can I come next time? <searches for hopeful emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now