Talk

Advanced search

What can I do with Oxtail in slow cooker???

(7 Posts)
ShabbyChit Wed 24-Oct-12 10:06:21

DH bought 2 packs of Oxtail in the reduced section at the supermarket which have been in the freezer for a few weeks now.
Does anyone have any oxtail recipes that ideally can be done in the slow cooker?
I have never cooked it before so don't have a clue what to make with it!

thanks in advance

Ladyflip Sat 27-Oct-12 07:25:15

Coat the oxtail in seasoned flour and brown in a frying pan. Put in slow cooker. Brown casserole veg ie whatever you have got out of leeks, onions, celery, carrots, parsnip, turnip etc. Add some liquid, think I use a combination of beef stock and red wine. Cook in sc. It's lovely done in sc as the oxtail is a good cut for long slow cooking. I'm typing this on my phone but can get the full recipe later if you would like.

Snog Sat 27-Oct-12 10:55:07

oxtail stew recipe

this is one of my most favourite dishes on earth - but I can never find oxtail in any of my local supermarkets - which supermarket did you get it from?

Enjoy - I am envy
smile

Ladyflip Sat 27-Oct-12 22:41:25

Yy to the dumplings! And make it a day ahead. Always tastes better. Mine is a clarissa dickson wright recipe I think.

ShabbyChit Tue 30-Oct-12 16:51:55

Oooh thanks might give it a go tomorrow so it's ready for when I get in from work!
Mmm dumplings, yes gotta have some of those.
I have got root veg to use up in the fridge so this definitely sounds like a plan!
Snog it was Morrisons, they usually sell Oxtail, but these were reduced to 50p a pack so this is going to turn out to be a cheap dinner! Thanks all xx

wheredidiputit Tue 30-Oct-12 18:44:43

My sister getting me some from Morrisons at the weekend for me as I can't get it from my supermarket.

I do it with carrots and onions. I always cook it the day before so I can put it in the fridge so I can remove all the fat.

Then following day I take meat of the bone as dh doesn't like eating meat of the bone. Then add more onion, carrots and peas and maybe some barley.

Snog Wed 31-Oct-12 21:08:09

Damn! No morrisons store near me

Enjoy the oxtail you lucky people!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now