Talk

Advanced search

fudge gone wrong

(4 Posts)
iWILLdothis Tue 23-Oct-12 21:29:40

I made some Scottish tablet (I believe this is the same thing as fudge?) this afternoon and it seems all wrong. It's stuck in my dish and is like toffee. I used this recipe. You could loose a filling or break a tooth on this stuff. I don't even like toffee. I don't know how I'm going to get it out of my dish. (Yes, I greased it, and it still won't come out. I was testing out the recipe as potential Christmas gifts. What a waste of condensed milk and all that sugar. I am craving fudge now. What did I do wrong? Am I supposed to leave it in the fridge overnight?But surely that would only make it more toffee-ey? DId I leave it too long? (about 3 and a half hours) Help! Tia.

blueberryboybait Tue 23-Oct-12 22:24:06

Normally to make tablet you need to beat it once it has boiled, the air cooling it down gives it it's texture. You could scrape it back into the pan and heat it through until boiling again and then beat with a whisk/wooden spoon until it starts to cool and thicken (normally 10 or so minutes) then pour into a tray lined with greased greaseproof or baking paper.

iWILLdothis Wed 24-Oct-12 15:34:33

Thank you thank you thank you thank you so much, blueberry. I tried this & it worked...yippee! It is yummy. So it might work for Xmas pressies. Much happier now. cried last night when I thought it had failed.

tb Sun 28-Oct-12 21:01:30

If it's turned into toffee rather than a fudgey sweet, it could be that you've boiled it to hard ball rather than soft ball stage. I find dropping a little in cold water much more reliable than using a sugar thermometer.

If the sugar has been caramelised past the soft ball stage, there isn't anything you can do to rescue it. You could always re-heat it, check the soft ball stage, let it cool a little and then beat with a spoon, until a trail from the spoon doesn't sink in and lies on the surface and then pour into a greased and lined tin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now