Talk

Advanced search

Help - my chicken went out of date yesterday!

(6 Posts)
Chepstowmonkey Tue 23-Oct-12 15:33:27

Is it okay to eat? I was just going to smell it but all chicken smells a bit funny to me so I'm not sure. It was delivered by the sainsburys man in the fridge part of the van and then went straight into my fridge.

I reckon that 1 day should be fine but thought I'd ask advice first! If it was beef I wouldn't worry but I am always suspicious of chicken!!!

CharlotteMcC Tue 23-Oct-12 15:36:24

Personally I would still use it only one day past its date, unless it looked or smelled funny. When I do I usually just make sure I cook it a little longer and double check that it is thoroughly cooked inside. Chicken is too £££ to throw away just one day out of date!

sooperdooper Tue 23-Oct-12 15:45:53

I would use it one day over as long as it looked/smelled ok

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Tue 23-Oct-12 15:48:50

Is it cooked chicken or raw?

Actually, it doesn't matter, it will be fine.

Chepstowmonkey Tue 23-Oct-12 15:57:58

Excellent answers! Especially as there is nothing else for dinner. It is a pack of chicken thighs and I was going to use half tonight and the other half tomorrow but I don't think I'll risk that so I'll just have to be imaginative and use the leftover cooked chicken tomorrow.

Oh dear...our meals won't match my strict meal plan...what will I do...how terribly exciting!

Gingerbreadlatte Tue 23-Oct-12 16:11:23

Im sure it will be fine tomorrow as well.

Check for smell and slime on surface. a slight aroma isn't a bad thing on chicken. Its when it honks and is slimy you need to worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now